ipod shuffe stops OSX boot process on Mac Mini 10.5.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheNorthWaves, Nov 8, 2008.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Well, through trial and error I have narrowed it down to this:

Using my mac mini 1.83-C2D and ipod shuffle, the computer will not boot. In other words,

-If I boot with the ipod in its dock and the dock plugged into the computer, The apple/swirly circle takes a while and then leaves me hanging at a light-blue screen. If I remove the ipod from its dock, the boot process immediately continues as normal.

-If I boot with the ipod removed from its dock or the dock unplugged from the USB port, the boot process is normal.

All updates are installed on the mac, I restored the ipod to factory settings, and it is plugged in directly to the back of the mac (not through a hub). I'm wondering if there's some kind of miscommunication, where the computer can't decide if it's trying to boot from the HDD or the ipod?? And it gets stuck. Other USB peripherals are not causing it. I can't figure it out.

2. ltHank macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this will give anyone any useful information, but I have the same problem when booting with my Shuffle on my old Sawtooth Mac.

3. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I've had this problem on both PCs and Macs in the past. I was told it was because the iPod requests a lot of power when the computer is first booted and causes the computer to not fully boot. My Dell demension won't boot with any MP3 player/Cell phone attached by USB. My old iMac G3 wouldn't either. Both would just stop loading the OS at a certain point. Solution, when you go to hit the power button, just unplug the iPod until the boot process is almost done then plug it in. Really requires little effort because you're already underneith the desk anyways to turn the thing on.

EDIT: Didnt see the age of the thread LOL, but i hope this helps someone anyway.