Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Whenever I connect my shuffle to my Mac the name of the Shuffle always appears entirely in upper case letters on the desktop and in finder, no matter how I formatted the name when I named it. Does anyone else notice this?

It's weird because when any of my other iPods (nano, 3G) mount, their name appears with correct formatting. Only my shuffle's name appears incorrectly, all in upper case.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Ahah, a short web search later, I found this:

"The shuffle is the first iPod that only works when it's formatted as a FAT32 volume. If you're adventurous and you try formatting your shuffle as an HFS disk, you won't be able to use it as a music player again until you use iPod Updater to restore it to iPod-hood.

If you're using disk mode on the shuffle, FAT32 has some unfortunate implications for Mac users. You'll notice that the shuffle insists on yelling its name in ALL UPPERCASE in the Finder. If you change it to include lowercase characters, it will revert to uppercase the next time you connect it. Bummer."

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Isn't this something to do with the Shuffle having to be FAT formatted to work with iTunes? Just a guess, mind.

I've just reformatted my 1gb one to HFS+ 'cos I'm only using it as a flash drive at the mo and as soon as I did that, I couldn't use it with iTunes. I now get pop-up warning dialogs from iTunes whenever I plug it in.

Edit: Now just seen your above post. Good guess on my part then. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.