iPod shuffle or Mighty Mouse

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by niter, Oct 17, 2007.

1. niter macrumors 6502

I have saved up my gift certificates to Amazon and now I can buy either a Mighty Mouse or an iPod shuffle. Neither is a critically needed purchase but I still cannot decide.

Mighty Mouse--always been curious about this product and wonder if I could use it as a wireless remote of sorts for advancing powerpoint slides (is that possible?). I use a laptop so a bluetooth mouse would be nice and I have been waiting ages to get it.

Shuffle--my 3G iPod is showing its wear. Granted for the car I can still plug it into the charger and I am not really using my iPod outside of my car any more so maybe it is not really needed. Then again, they look pretty tempting ;)

Does anyone know if the Mighty Mouse could be used to advance powerpoint slides (within a reasonable range)? Thanks!

2. skwij macrumors 6502

Shuffle or save some more.

I personally do NOT like Apple's mice, period.

3. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

The question of the Mighty Mouse depends on your answer to the following question:

Do you currently use an Apple Mouse (i.e 1-button mouse)?

If so then you'll probably get on really well with the Mighty Mouse, particularly the Wireless version. I found it to be quite responsive, the Bluetooth function worked well and it was very comfortable to use.

However, if you are used to a 2-button (or more) mouse and expect a right-click function then my advice is to avoid the Mighty Mouse like the plague. The right-click function of the mouse only works about 90% of the time in my experience and it's incredibly annoying when it fails (selections become de-selected, etc.). It was for this reason, and this reason only, that I sent back my Wireless Mighty Mouse and bought a Logitech VX Revolution instead. This mouse is good but I'd have preferred a real Bluetooth version rather than having to use a USB dongle.

4. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

What Kelmon said is pretty bang on...only buy a mighty mouse if you currently use a Mac mouse. Otherwise you will be dissapointed.

I'd avoid the Mighty Mouse if I were you. Logitech and even (gasp!) Microsoft make better mice.

5. seany916 macrumors 6502

If your older iPod still works, why get a new one? I personally don't like using the MM, I like Kensingtons better.

Save the "mazon money", and get something you don't already have.

Or save it up for a bigger purchase of something you need or don't have already.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The right click works fine if you understand how it works. It's not a matter of pushing harder on the right side, it's a matter of lifting your finger off the left side. If you click *only* on the right side, it works 100 percent of the time. The mouse detects where you're touching it, not where you're putting pressure.

That said, I agree that it's not the best mouse out there. It came with my iMac, so that's what I use. I wouldn't buy one on its own.

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It's funny because I use to be an all-right click person, and when I got the wireless mm, the fact that you have to have your left finger off the mouse first didn't bother me at all...it seemed natural and all..not even noticeable.

But I found it more intuitive, due to the position of my hands on my desk, to press control and then click for a right click. I don't know why, but it really works better. It might seem like "why? it's an extra thing you have to do!!!" - but it just is easier. Can't explain it really...sorry lol.

But the mm itself looks great, but it doesn't work well - the scroll ball sucks. I'm a neat freak and even mine got clogged and sometimes won't scroll up. WHen it does work, it's pretty enjoyable to use. I mostly got it for the aesthetics though, it matches the iMac really well. But I also like it because it's bluetooth (frees up a USB port) and I like the squeeze buttons on the side (so I guess I didn't really get it JUST for the aesthetics then, lol). I actually bought the MX Rev but gave it back because of poor drivers for Mac and because the scroll wheel was semi-retarded some times. I prefer the MM.

But if I were you, I'd save up though for a better iPod. Since your iPod can't hold a charge anymore and is only good for the car. Same thing happened to me. But if you want to carry more music around (as much as you probably have on your 3G) the shuffle will disappoint you. Keep saving!

As for the powerpoint thing, it would work, but so would any other wireless mouse. It also would look awkward in the hand since normally people use clickers (much smaller) - if you have an apple laptop you can use the apple remote to advance slides in keynote which is great but if you're on a PC and using powerpoint I would recommend you buy a clicker from amazon. The mm would look a little awkward.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

9. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i like both equally. i'd say shuffle if you like music on the go (outside of a car ride) or the MM if you're in need of a mouse that *could* double as a makeshift slide advancer.

i agree with all the statements about the MM. if you don't know how to use it you will hate it. i personally love mine and have since hung up my Microsoft Intellimouse. right click takes getting used to (not to say it sucks) you just need to lift you pointer.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Neither?

I would say save up some more and buy a nano (they are worth it...so jealous that I have a last gen:eek:).

OR

If you have about $80(right?), then why not apply it towards Leopard? I'm pretty sure Amazon sells Leopard. You could get yourself a very low price copy that way.:)

11. hondje macrumors member

Buy the Mighty Mouse!

I read everyone's complaints about the MM. Personally, I have never had one problem. It works like a dream. I recommend it to everyone I know.

But if you go ahead with the shuffle, or nano, I know you won't be disappointed. It sounds like what you really need right now is a better iPod. That sounds the most logical.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

don't know which one you should have but I love my MM, it works great.