iPod Shuffle Sales Slow in Taiwan

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that Apple's iPod Shuffle sales are stagnant in the Taiwan market due to an abundance of gray-market Shuffles as well as recent competition from new models by Sony and Samsung.
While Apple Computer Taiwan still maintains a retail price for the 1GB iPod Shuffle at about NT$3,000 (US$91), prices of gray-market models are about 10% lower and 1GB MP3 players offered by little-known brands sell for only NT$800 only, the sources pointed out.

Article Link

djkirsten

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

Wow they have iPhone shuffles in taiwan already! I want one! What does it look like? Since its a shuffle it probably has no screen and makes and recieves calls at random! And i heare the internet is read to you! Wow they're really cheap. Sign me up.

I love fun typos like that.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Meh, so what ?

Everyone knows that in China, Taiwan... pretty much the whole Asia-Pacific region, you can get other brands far cheaper than Apple, far cheaper than anywhere else in the world.

There is a certain quality and brand recognition in buying Apple products, and the shuffle is no different, despite it's size and relatively low feature set.

I'd imagine a new iTunes Store for China, taking Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan (admittedly they'd be very angry over this) as parts of China would increase sales, as they'd be then locked in.

Fuchal

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A543a Safari/419.3)

Wow they have iPhone shuffles in taiwan already! I want one! What does it look like? Since its a shuffle it probably has no screen and makes and recieves calls at random! And i heare the internet is read to you! Wow they're really cheap. Sign me up.

I love fun typos like that.
No wonder nobody wants it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Meh, so what ?

Everyone knows that in China, Taiwan... pretty much the whole Asia-Pacific region, you can get other brands far cheaper than Apple, far cheaper than anywhere else in the world.

There is a certain quality and brand recognition in buying Apple products, and the shuffle is no different, despite it's size and relatively low feature set.

I'd imagine a new iTunes Store for China, taking Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan (admittedly they'd be very angry over this) as parts of China would increase sales, as they'd be then locked in.
I agree with your point- the market there is flooded with many other products making it harder for Apple to compete (atleast with their pricing). :)

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
You can't forget the fact of brand and content loyalty they have there. In Korea some of the top mp3 players are from Korean companies in China top players are from China and Korea, and so forth.

iris_failsafe

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Most Taiwanese like cheap products they don't see style as very important
its they way they see things besides they really look up to Japan they want to be like them, although Taiwanese girls dislike Japanese girls a lot!

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
wow im sure aapl took a dive over this news.... :rolleyes:

really taiwan, let be honest those that have computers don't have room for itunes, they're all to full of pirated software, films and knocked off virus full versions of vista..

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Yeah, with some of the crazy stuff and cheap stuff you can get over there, I wouldn't think the shuffles would be too desirable to the demographic that would be interested in players in the first place. I was looking at the smaller players at walmart the other day, and was quite taken by a few of them, 2 gigs for $59 and about the size of a Vegas Dice (Die)? I would have jumped on it if it would work with iTunes.

thecritix

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2006
West London, England
Yeah, with some of the crazy stuff and cheap stuff you can get over there, I wouldn't think the shuffles would be too desirable to the demographic that would be interested in players in the first place. I was looking at the smaller players at walmart the other day, and was quite taken by a few of them, 2 gigs for $59 and about the size of a Vegas Dice (Die)? I would have jumped on it if it would work with iTunes.
look i know flash memory is meant to be more capable of taking knocks, but i think even walmart would have had something to say about you jumping on their stock.. :D

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
isnt gray market the black market?
No, there's a difference. Black market goods are illegal, while grey market goods are legal but perhaps questionable in origin or being sold in areas outside of where they are officially authorized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market

If I bought a pile of mp3 players that were meant to be sold in Taiwan, and shipped them to North America and sold one to you, you would be buying grey market goods.

beijingbob68

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Very good fake shuffles here

I work in Beijing and the markets are full of fake iPod nanos which look like crap and are so obviously fake. But recently, I've seen lots of fake Shuffles which are packaged identically to the real ones and except for the printing on the control surface, it's a pretty damn good fake. It even syncs through the earplug port. It would easily fool someone who doesn't really know the quality of Apple products. These ones cost about $25.

Companies whose brands that frequently get copied like Louis Vuitton etc. usually make a big push a few times a year to bust vendors. Apple could easily do this but they don't seem to care about China. Despite that, I've been seeing lots more local Chinese using MacBook Pros at Starbucks.

beijingbob68

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
I agree with your point- the market there is flooded with many other products making it harder for Apple to compete (atleast with their pricing). :)
Duty+VAT on Apple products in China puts prices about 17% above U.S. but the distribution channels and Chinese pricing ******** (room for negotiation) puts real iPods in at about 30% above U.S. retail.

Many times, Apple products will be smuggled in from Hong Kong or the U.S. I was in the US with a friend from Singapore who bought 15 red Nanos to sell back home. There's probably a similar situation in Taiwan along with good knock-offs which make the real ones have a lower perceived value.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I work in Beijing and the markets are full of fake iPod nanos which look like crap and are so obviously fake. But recently, I've seen lots of fake Shuffles which are packaged identically to the real ones and except for the printing on the control surface, it's a pretty damn good fake. It even syncs through the earplug port. It would easily fool someone who doesn't really know the quality of Apple products. These ones cost about $25.

Companies whose brands that frequently get copied like Louis Vuitton etc. usually make a big push a few times a year to bust vendors. Apple could easily do this but they don't seem to care about China. Despite that, I've been seeing lots more local Chinese using MacBook Pros at Starbucks.
Do these fake shuffles sync through iTunes as real shuffles or are the similarities just cosmetic?

zgh1999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Meh, so what ?

Taiwan is not China, and will never be part of China.

Please stop referring to Taiwan as a part of China -- it is offensive to the Taiwanese people to be lumped with a communist country that has consistently threatened to use force against them and respects no human rights.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I've seen these fake shuffles in a few of the mall stores.

They were hawkin' em off just like they were real iPods.

Any way to report this kind of stuff to Apple?