iPod Shuffle Updated

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Jobs today unveiled a redesigned iPod Shuffle. The new shuffle resembles the iPod Remote control, and features a clip for easy wearability. The new model also features a USB 2.0 "dock" connector, which is required for connecting to a computer for synchronization and charging.

The shuffle will be available in one 1GB model for US $79, and will ship in October.

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
Amazing price for the Shuffle, especially in comparison to the older models. Just like the new Nanos, hopefully we've got some more news on updated MacBooks and whatnot!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Very cool redesign...love the way the jack was incorporated into the hinge for the clip.

Just when you think they can't make iPods any smaller...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'm kind of worried about sweat getting into that thing throught the switches.

Otherwise, I would have already ordered one. My shuffle died last month.

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Looks real nice, but it's too bad they couldn't keep the standard USB connector built-in. Also, on Apple's site it appears that one of the buttons on the top edge is labeled "Off". Is this really an off button (as the label would suggest) or is it the more common "hold" / lock button? If it's a true off button, it would be a first for any iPod (as far as I can recall).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It's one of those things I'm sure I'll end up buying because I can't resist it, even though I have no use for it. ;)

I love the metal case and the size.

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
My two favorite updates of everything steve pulled out of his pocket are the shuffle...way cool and finally the itunes logo gets and update to blue(love it)

if you install itunes and then got to customize there is a phone driver that is disabled, has this always been there????

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
I m definitely getting one. Coz I really want to get my first iPod now:eek: but dont want to spend my money on anything less than a full widescreen iPod. I m sure shuffle will keep me happy till then.

Really cool design BTW. Love that clip.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
xli_ne said:
didn't it used to be blue back in the day?
I changed mine to a custom icon ages ago, so it doesn't reallty matter to me. ;) I know at one point it was green though (current version?) so this sounds like it's probably a minor change.

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
i guess this is good for the person going out for a jog. but honestly the ipod nano is way better.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
ebow said:
Looks real nice, but it's too bad they couldn't keep the standard USB connector built-in.
Yes, I used to want a Shuffle (even though I don't need one - I have a Nano) but now there is no reason to have one (for me, that is). I'm sure it's a great improvement in many ways, but without the built-in USB connector there is now nothing special for me about it.

A is for Apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2006
Wales, UK
baleensavage said:
Love the new design. My only complaint is that it is not really convenient as a flash drive any more since you have to carry around the dock with you.
Love the new shuffle design, how much smaller can they make these things?!?! I feel my fat fingers might struggle.

I was thinking exactly the same thing with the convienience of the old style shuffle, was very handy for popping uni work on and what not, simple plug and go effort. shame that has gone in order to make things smaller.

cath

marcelo002

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Owego, NY
If they designed the nike+ to work with the new shuffle, then I would definitely consider buying it, I think this small shuffle would be a perfect running companion.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Small is good, no USB is bad

The Shuffle has gone from being useful for music and data to just a music player. Given the new size, that's not the end of the world, but it no longer appeals to me.

Apple must be making killer profit on their new iPods. I can get a high speed 4GB USB flash drive for $80 retail. They must be paying half that for flash.

DrEasy

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
Still no support for multiple playlists? How hard can it be to add an extra "mode" so that when you click on Fast Forward you go to the next playlist?

The design looks cool though, glad they resisted adding a screen. However, as someone else said, it's not going to be as practical as before using it as a USB drive.

Guess I'll stick to my old Shuffle then...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Pretty awesome, I'd definitely get one if I didn't have a shuffle already.

Nice leak-proofing on this one, I didn't see a single shuffle rumor at any of the mac sites. Glad to see that they not only didn't dump it, but gave it a MAJOR facelift. I've always liked the shuffle, now it has a whole new life.

Now will I get gapless playback on my old shuffle?