Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I love the new shuffle look. It is an excellent design.

There shouldn't be too many complaints about it being unable to function like the old one as a USB jumpdrive. USB jumpdrives are pretty cheap now, and many of them are so small that you can put one onto your keyring without noticing it. Buy a USB flash drive for your keyring, clip your shuffle to your pants, and suddenly the old model seems incredibly bulky.

I'm just worried about the space. 1GB isn't enough for me, even though it's a "shuffle". 2GB would hit the spot just about right, though.

analogus

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
I had the old Shuffle and it was amazing, Then I sold it and got a 30 gig ipod video, which I hardly ever use to listen to music. I'm getting the new Shuffle, for sure...

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Adamo said:
Amazing price for the Shuffle,

Yeah, $79, which is probably worth 50 Euro, so Apple will sell it in Europe for a mere 99 Euro, I guess :eek:

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
aleck said:
I'm really puzzled what you people see good at this. This is pure sh*t.

Apple took the best small flash-based player in the world and made it the worst. With direct USB plug, you had amazing portability, still had MP3 player and good take it wheever you want. I regularly used to transfer small files from/to work, exchange files with friends etc.
With this, I would need to carry that stupid dock as well. :mad:

So it still has no screen at all, now has no USB as well, but it has the hinge. Wow.
The worst piece of "design" ever offered by Apple. Probably designed by a person that never actually used Shuffle in real life.

Get out of the box and think bout it from a music perspective. No need to compare it with the older shuffle. I`ve seen a lot of small mp3 players and none of them got me interested enough to even consider one. All I cared for was a full screen iPod. But this new shuffle is definitely cool. Not to mention it`s cheap too. No real need to worry bout losing or breaking it. It`ll keep people like me going who are interested in getting an iPod for themselves but dont want to buy until the real thing arrives (vPod). I m definitely getting one as soon as I can.

I can definitely say that it`ll sell thrice as much compared to the older shuffle. Or in case there are few more people like me then you might see it being the bestselling iPod during this Xmas.

johnmcboston said:
I'm also curious as to the 'waterproof-ness' of the model. if we're using it while exercising or skiing or in the garden - it's going to get rough and diry and moist. For such a small player (cool as it is) you almost need something protective on it (maybe a film product).

Wonder if the aluminum makes it have some kind of weight - the stick ones were almost too light...

With the THING being this cheap, I`d certainly not worry bout it much.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I would have rather had the same form factor shuffle, maybe in metal, with a far improved battery life. I'm sure this would not be possible at $79, but to me, this would be near perfect. I am very envious of the nano's 24 hour battery life and the old AAA battery adapter no longer works with the new shuffles. The shuffle was the perfect, lightweight solution for bringing a lot of music backpacking or climbing. And the battery adapter offered virtually unlimited battery life as long as you had AAA's. I'm still tempted to get a new one for running though.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I better take care of my ol' shuffle, since when it dies I have to buy a iPod and a USB memory. Not what I call evolution...

Assuming that (1) you use the Shuffle as a music player and use a descent amount of its space, and (2) when using it as a jump drive, you're not storing more than 256MB, you can just get something like a 256MB Cruzer Micro for $15. Which added with the new shuffle, is probably smaller than the old shuffle. Maybe not for everyone, but I like encoding high enough, and have enough songs, that even if I used a shuffle as a jump drive, I wouldn't have much space left after my songs.

I'm not sure where my friend got one of his jump drives, but it is tiny; it's pretty much the end you stick into the USB drive plus a little stub. 128MB. Maybe it's personal preference, but I'd much rather have a tiny player + tiny flash drive than one (relatively) big shuffle.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
This New iPod Shuffle Is A Work Of Art And A Definite Grand Slam Home Run Winner!

This New iPod Shuffle Is A Work Of Art And A Definite Grand Slam Home Run Winner! Incredible. I am blown away by it more than anything else announced today. Can't wait to get mine. Wow! :) :eek:

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
2GB USB 2 Flash RAM Drives Are Down To $20 Sale Price

ZoomZoomZoom said:
Assuming that (1) you use the Shuffle as a music player and use a descent amount of its space, and (2) when using it as a jump drive, you're not storing more than 256MB, you can just get something like a 256MB Cruzer Micro for $15. Which added with the new shuffle, is probably smaller than the old shuffle. Maybe not for everyone, but I like encoding high enough, and have enough songs, that even if I used a shuffle as a jump drive, I wouldn't have much space left after my songs.

I'm not sure where my friend got one of his jump drives, but it is tiny; it's pretty much the end you stick into the USB drive plus a little stub. 128MB. Maybe it's personal preference, but I'd much rather have a tiny player + tiny flash drive than one (relatively) big shuffle.
I paid $20 for a 2GB USB2 Flash drive last Monday at Fry's.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
ZoomZoomZoom said:
I love the new shuffle look. It is an excellent design.
I'm not sure how I feel about the new look. Its so.... well, TINY! Reminds me of the iPod flea. Anyone remember that?

Anyhow, stuff usually has to grow on me, I guess I'm just an old school type :)

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Personally, I wish they would have just made the old one smaller...I think the old one being like a jump drive/mp3 player was pretty handy. Really besides the size and shape there is nothing new here...Too bad.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
theBB said:
Somebody told me the old shuffle automatically converted songs into 128kbs AAC while you are adding it to the shuffle, even if they were of a much higher bitrate or saved in another format. I wonder if the new one does the same thing. It would be nice to keep my songs ALAC on my harddisk without wasting too much memory when I add it to the shuffle, where sound quality does not matter much.

The feature is part of iTunes, so I'm sure it's still there.

ekalb39 said:
My new iPod Shuffle is not going to ship until the end of October No.....:mad:

Why are you mad? That's what they announced, shipping October.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
It looks like that ipod Flea video that was going around a while back... it almost looks... un apple... :rolleyes: Its to.... just not what I would expect...

Edit: Beaten to the flea comment... man lol

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think Apple blew it with the new iPod Shuffle. They should have kept the old form factor but put in a small LCD display to show song titles and elapsed time.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I just bought a Lexar jump drive for $14 yesterday, and it fits on my keys. ;)

I'll be getting one of these new shuffles as soon as I can. Awesome little player perfect for running and school and "risky" situations where you don't want to risk even a nano sized player.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
SactoGuy18 said:
I think Apple blew it with the new iPod Shuffle. They should have kept the old form factor but put in a small LCD display to show song titles and elapsed time.

Then get a nano? Alu exterior, even smaller than before, better battery life, small LCD display...

Unless if you're asking for something like a nano at the price of a shuffle. Then keep dreaming.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Can't say I'm a fan of the new shuffle... The lanyard on my 1g shuffle is so handy while biking to work with my hoodie on.

But the new nano................ ohhhh the new nano!!!!!!

Dear 2G Nano, I will try and buy you this weekend. Not sure what one of you but i will buy you.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
milo said:
The feature is part of iTunes, so I'm sure it's still there.
Well, it only worked for Shuffle, not the other iPods, so I am not sure. Something to check at the store in three weeks when they become available...

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
ddrueckhammer said:
Personally, I wish they would have just made the old one smaller...I think the old one being like a jump drive/mp3 player was pretty handy. Really besides the size and shape there is nothing new here...Too bad.
Same... I'm glad I have my little flash/mp3 player. I've used it many many times allready. Because I allways have my shufflewith me, and draging around a little dock thing isn't really handy to me.

Kinda sucks they took away the 512 model, scrolling through 200+ songs doesn't sound like it would be fun. I get annoyed with my 512 sometimes(though I absolutely love it deerly) scrolling. I will be buying the new nano just for podcasts i think.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Then get a nano? Alu exterior, even smaller than before, better battery life, small LCD display...

Unless if you're asking for something like a nano at the price of a shuffle. Then keep dreaming.
I have a SanDisk player about the size of a shuffle, but with a screen, radio and voice recorder. It runs on one AAA battery. It cannot do playlists, it is only folders of mp3 and wma files. Radio almost never work indoors. It comes with in-ear headphones that are too big for my ears. The new version with 1GB capacity is selling for only $55 at Amazon. The new one even seems to have a color screen. Unless iTunes compatibility is important for you, it is not a bad deal just due to the screen. I guess Apple could add a screen and still sell shuffle for $79 or have a 1GB nano for $99.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.