Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wg07

Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I've been looking at getting an iPod video, but they have been out since Sept 06, and have a "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" recommendation, which made me consider an iPod Shuffle, which has a "Buy" recommendation on the Buyer's Guide. I almost bought one when out shopping for something else. But after more research, I realised the Shuffle "update" in January was the release of four new colours. The specifications have not changed from Sept 2006 (same as the "Buy only if you need it" video iPod), and nor has the price dropped. So can the new releases in January can really be called an "update", and does the iPod Shuffle really merit a "Buy - Product recently updated" recommendation on the Buyer's Guide?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
considering the first generation shuffle was introduced in january 2005 and went on until september 2006, i think the second generation shuffle will be around for a while. plus at $79 a pop, it's priced just right for an impulse buy. besides, what more could you want from a shuffle, smaller form factor?

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
Where do you plan on using this iPod and how much music(in GB approximately) do you want to carry around at once?

Those are the two simple questions...

wg07

Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
i think the second generation shuffle will be around for a while. plus at $79 a pop, it's priced just right for an impulse buy.

No, it's not a great deal of money, and a fun toy at $79. I would rather have the video iPod though, and to have two pieces of technology around is unnecessary duplication.

Okay, I concede that considering 1st gen was around for 20 months and 2nd gen is only 7 months old, it's probably not a risky buy (like I thought it was, comparing it to iPod video) as in it's not going to be discontinued soon. 1st gen had a price cut at 5 months though, while 2nd gen was "updated" with the release of new colours. I've been rightly or wrongly comparing it with cars -- which usually get cosmetic changes or new colours before a new model comes out. And cosmetic changes are not real updates. New releases perhaps, but not updates.

If we take the silver-coloured shuffle in isolation, it hasn't changed in specs or price since Sept 06. Surely that's at least mid-cycle and not "recently updated"?

wg07

Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Where do you plan on using this iPod and how much music(in GB approximately) do you want to carry around at once?

Those are the two simple questions...

I'm flexible, with a preference for video.

jklps

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2007
I'm flexible, with a preference for video.

Well if you want the video get the video...right now for instance the 80gb one, we have no idea if they'll just replace all hard drives with flash on the newer models, might limit capacity for now(which would make me mad, i usually want the biggest one possible).

Why I asked where you are using it is because I have two: an original shuffle 512 that I use only at the gym, and the 60gb iPod video which I use on our commuter train system/walking to work, in my car, or on trips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.