iPod - software requirements too high?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by a456, Nov 16, 2007.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I held off buying an iPod for a long time because Apple removed Firewire and I didn't have USB 2 on my PowerBook, and couldn't find confirmation of how USB 1.1 would work with it. When I did buy a Nano I didn't have any problems with transfer speeds, but the photo feature was disabled because my copy of iPhoto wasn't recent enough. Now I notice that people who have 10.3 are excluded from the iPod party because you need 10.4. Whereas people running the older Windows XP are included. I know someone that bought the new Nano and to use it has to buy Leopard (she has 10.3) and to increase her ram to do so because she has 256K in a 1.33Ghz PowerBook. This is at least the price of the Nano again just to put some tunes on it, and for a machine that is only three years old and was over a thousand pounds new this is a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Let's take this bit by bit:
    -It's not the age of the OS it's when it was still being used. Hardly anyone still uses 10.3, it's replacement has now been replaced. But consumers can still buy computers with XP.
    -I don't know how she was still using a computer with 256MB of ram, that's so 2005 (or was it 2004). Even for everyday tasks 512 is exponentially more pleasant.
    -As for the original price of the machine; does that even matter? It uses electricity, therefore it loses value faster than everything except a new car.