iPod stays stuck on "Do Not Disconnect" screen.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Aniej, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I have reached my maximum knowledge level for the iPod in terms of troubleshooting this issue. I have rest the iPod manually through the track-wheel and restored the iPod through iTunes. I continue to get the above screen after the iPod is done syncing. The only way it goes away is when I eject the iPod. Is there a reason this is happening and how would you go about resolving it?

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. It is a 30GB 5th Generation video iPod.

2. Gee macrumors 65816

I believe that's normal if you have 'enable disk use' checked.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's completely normal, as Gee said. If Enable Disk Usage isn't checked, it'll automatically disconnect after syncing, and therefore not show the Do Not Disconnect screen. :)

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know whether Aniej is having the same problem as me, but mine stays "connected" even with disk use off. I have to manually eject every single time. Mine's also a video model.

5. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Sounds normal to me too. I've always had to eject them...I mean that's why you've got the ability to eject them. Otherwise they stay "seen" by the OS and iTunes.

6. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I've always manually ejected mine, even with disk use disabled. I always assumed it was normal lol, which I'm hoping it is. :confused:

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Looks like it, since that's what everyone else does :)

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It should eject itself once it's finished synching. My old one always did, and my current one used to when I first got it.

9. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Nermal, I just switched to using the disk mode, but even before that I had the same problem that you are describing. It is kind of annoying.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nermal and Aniej, when you're getting this problem are there any iPod-related processes running in Activity Monitor?

11. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Well neither my 3G nor 5.5G have ever ejected themselves automatically, and I wouldn't want them to, as then I wouldn't have access to what's on them. I'd expect them to stay in iTunes until I've explicitly ejected them.

Now I do need to figure out why my iPod keeps getting it's "Display album artwork on iPod" selection unchecked...

12. triobot macrumors member

triobot

To be honest, as long as the disk activity isn't in use (little wheel type thing going in circles), it is safe to disconnect at anytime as the disk is not in use, nothing is being written or read so there will be no corruption if you do so...

If the little wheel is spinning and you disconnect, pray and hope that none of your data is wiped...

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

14. robPOD macrumors 6502

;) :apple: my 30gb is set to disk use enabled and no auto sync, and i just pull the plug out once the little spinning circle in the top corner stops even when it still seez do not disco ....... nect:D