Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Hello All.

My IPod seems to be mucked up....

When I turn it on, or try to charge (through AC or computer)
- Apple Logo comes up
- Picture of a sad iPod
- Screen then goes blank

Is it pooched, or is there some remedy to try.

I'll search around, but any advice appreciated.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Just restore the iPod from iTunes. (If you don't have iTunes 7 or later, then you'll need to use the iPod update utility.)

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
If its out of warranty and you run out of things to try. Just hit it, no too hard. I've seen some iPods where the HDD gets jammed. Knocking them brings them back.

Oh yea, don't knock the LCD!!!

I'm gonna get flamed for this.

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
All Better

Hey.

Ya, I could tell it was a hardware issues, as the disk was not spinning up (based on feel of ipod).

Anywho, read the posts on pulling out HD, etc, and the ones on whacking it against a flat surface.

So, I whacked it pretty firmly - flat of back against flat wooden surface. Ipod booted right up and works fine.

Vunderbar :D

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Hey.

Ya, I could tell it was a hardware issues, as the disk was not spinning up (based on feel of ipod).

Anywho, read the posts on pulling out HD, etc, and the ones on whacking it against a flat surface.

So, I whacked it pretty firmly - flat of back against flat wooden surface. Ipod booted right up and works fine.

Vunderbar :D

Excellent!! :D

phillipjfry

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
Peace in Plainfield
Is it possible that it might be a stuck wheel button that might be causing the "muck ups" instead of a hard drive being "stuck"?
And maybe banging the ipod on the table just unsticks the button? Just a thought :)

BydoEmpire

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2005
If its out of warranty and you run out of things to try. Just hit it, no too hard. I've seen some iPods where the HDD gets jammed. Knocking them brings them back.

Oh yea, don't knock the LCD!!!

I'm gonna get flamed for this.
This worked for me. My 30gig slowly became more and more flaky over the course of a couple months, and finally died. With nothing to lose (out of warranty and $272 repair estimate) I hit it very hard, dock-side down, on a table a couple times, and it's been like-new ever since.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
This worked for me. My 30gig slowly became more and more flaky over the course of a couple months, and finally died. With nothing to lose (out of warranty and $272 repair estimate) I hit it very hard, dock-side down, on a table a couple times, and it's been like-new ever since.

Very cool!

Mooey

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
Dude, my iPod wasn't working for 9 months... I tried EVERYTHING on Apple's website - I couldn't send it in because my warranty ran out. So I decided to try this yesterday (the slamming) and it worked! Took two tries and not really much of a hard slap, but a slap nonetheless.

Thank you guys! I've missed my iPod so much!

sonofjabba

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2007
Pa
Sad Icon is normally a hard drive problem. However a Weak battery can cause it too. Even Hooked to a external power source. Slamming is not the best fix for ipods you actually can make it worst with slamming, although I've done it in the heat of the moment too...

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
wow, I just tried this with an iPod 4G that I was going to try to fix for a friend, and it works. I'm still going to recommend that I replace the HDD for him, but it works now!

iHerzeleid

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Most of the time, the heads are locked and a simple knocking of the iPod will unlock the drive heads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.