Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DUDEMANGUY5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Does anybody know the actual storage capacity of the new iPods?
8 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB?

I am hesitating on getting the 8 gig model, possibly getting the 32... depends on storage!

supermassive

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Vendors of mass storage devices always specify the capacity in 1000th of bytes for promotional reasons, so you can sell less as more. A real GB is not 1000 (kb) * 1000 (mb) * 1000 (gb) but 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 1073741824 Bytes (not 1000000000). So a promotional GB already lacks 70MB.

70 * 32 = 2250 MB ±2GB. So the firmware is only 1GB

Warbitrary

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
Montréal, Canada
Vendors of mass storage devices always specify the capacity in 1000th of bytes for promotional reasons, so you can sell less as more. A real GB is not 1000 (kb) * 1000 (mb) * 1000 (gb) but 1024 * 1024 * 1024 = 1073741824 Bytes (not 1000000000). So a promotional GB already lacks 70MB.

70 * 32 = 2250 MB ±2GB. So the firmware is only 1GB

It's not promotional, it's the right way to report size. Operating systems report size in a wrong and confusing manner, except Snow Leopard.

Under the SI standard, storage is reported in base-10 (kilobyte = 1000 bytes, just like kilometer = 1000 meters). Under the IEC standard, storage is reported in base-2, with distinct names (kibibyte, abbreviated KiB, for 1024 bytes).

So most operating systems measure GiB, but display it with the GB suffix, which is of course confusing.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
It's not promotional, it's the right way to report size. Operating systems report size in a wrong and confusing manner, except Snow Leopard.

Under the SI standard, storage is reported in base-10 (kilobyte = 1000 bytes, just like kilometer = 1000 meters). Under the IEC standard, storage is reported in base-2, with distinct names (kibibyte, abbreviated KiB, for 1024 bytes).

So most operating systems measure GiB, but display it with the GB suffix, which is of course confusing.

... But on the flipside, the "byte" is not a SI unit, and therefore legally the SI rules don't necessarily have to apply.

Even if the SI decided to adopt a unit of storage (which they haven't), it would almost certainly be the "octet" rather than the "byte", because the definition of a "byte" is technically obscured due to historic usage. (Is it 5 bits? 8 bits? 9 bits? Correct answer: Suprisingly enough, all of the above and more.)

Therefore, the definition of the GB is entirely up to the whims of the person publishing claims. It would be irresopnsible for anybody claiming to discuss storage capacity to fail to indicate clearly whether they're taliking about the base-1000 unit of the base-1024 unit.

But in the absence of any fine print to the contrary, it is entirely justifiable for anybody to assume that an unqualified "GB" is talking about the base-1024 unit.

Let's just agree that, depending on the circumstances, they may both be right. Right?

By the way, as far as operating systems go, Ubuntu is particularly confusing in its reporting, because some of its utilities correctly use the term "GiB", but others still use the term "GB" without disambiguating.

PhatboyNYC

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2010
I'm planning on buying the ipod 4g this coming week but can't decide between the 32g or the 64gb. This will be my first ipod or apple product for that matter and was wondering what people recommended from personal use? Is 64gb overkill or worth the extra money?

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
I'm planning on buying the ipod 4g this coming week but can't decide between the 32g or the 64gb. This will be my first ipod or apple product for that matter and was wondering what people recommended from personal use? Is 64gb overkill or worth the extra money?

Well first off, do you have media already? As in iTunes music, movies, etc. I have about 2330 songs and it's around 11gb, then about 3G in apps. O don't know what I'd do with a 64gb. But if you are like my brother with his like 6 or 7000 songs more than 32 would be needed. But he has a classic or whatever.

But it's all based off what you see yourself doing. Buying 1000s of songs and huge games takes up space over time.

Panther71

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Cham-Bana, IL

Something to consider is how long do you plan to keep the iPod Touch. If you don't have a lot of music to download and you plan to upgrade in a couple of years, the 32gb would probably be fine for you. I have almost 21 gb of music and don't plan to upgrade my iPod Touch in the foreseeable future, so the 64 gb model was the best bargain for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.