iPod suddenly became a paperweight

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by devburke, Sep 14, 2009.

1. devburke Guest

So I was using my iPod touch 2nd gen not 10 minutes ago, and all was working fine. Then I plugged it into my MacBook and noticed that nothing happened. So I went to the iPod and tried to see if it was charging, and to my surprise, nothing happened when I pushed any of the buttons. Nothing comes on the screen or anything. I didn’t power it off, but I tried holding the buttons to power it back on anyway. And the battery’s not dead; in fact it’s almost full. Usually when there are major problems like this people just say to restore it. But I can’t restore it when it won’t even respond to the computer! I got this thing as a replacement through AppleCare maybe two months ago, so it’s not like it’s old. Is there anything I can do? I’m afraid my original AppleCare is expired, because I bought the original that this replaced about a year ago, I think over a year by just a few days. This is ******. Am I just screwed out of an iPod?

2. devburke thread starter Guest

Nevermind, I called AppleCare and we got it working.

One thing I wonder about though, is he told me that since my iPod is personalized (meaning I got it engraved) that I can’t take it in to be fixed at Apple Stores, and if anything goes wrong with the hardware, I’d have to send it in through AppleCare and pay for expensive repairs (or extend my warrantee, which it turns out runs out today). This doesn’t seem right to me, engraving should make that much of a difference. This guy was just wrong, right? I mean if taking it to an Apple Store means ending up with an iPod without engraving, I’ll take that over paying over $100 to send it in.

3. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

my blackberry is also a paperweight...:D

lol, "from the new blackberry buy one get one free commercial from verizon.":D

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

5. devburke thread starter Guest

I’m not really sure what caused it, but holding the sleep and home buttons for 10 seconds turned it on. I had tried holding them, but probably only for 5 seconds or so, I didn’t realize holding it for that long would do anything. I still don’t know why it messed up in the first place, but as long as it’s working now.

6. Dieder macrumors member

Only thing with engraving is that you cant bring it back when you don't like the product. Engraving as nothing do to with warranty

7. devburke thread starter Guest

OK, so basically this guy was just wrong? I mean the only reason I’d have to go through AppleCare if it was something the Apple Store would be able to do is if I wanted to preserve my engraving, right?

8. Surreptitious macrumors newbie

My guess is they don't want your engraved iPod because they can't resell it.

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Right, but can they actually deny him warranty because of it? I doubt it.

10. tundotcom macrumors member

They can't just slap on a new back casing for it? I thought they just replaced the entire casing anyway, so why should engraving make a difference in terms of selling it as a refurb?

11. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

How can they re-sell it anyway if it isn't working?

12. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

They cannot deny him the warranty...