iPod Syncing Problems

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Roguepirate, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Roguepirate macrumors member

I have a 5th gen 80gb ipod video, itunes 7.3, SR MBP
    sometimes when i connect my ipod to my macbook my macbook doesn't see the ipod. The ipod will show the "do not disconnect" screen for a second or two then go back to the menu screen. However after i reset the ipod and reconnect it, then the macbook will recognize the ipod and i can continue like normal.

Is this a common problem or is it just the ipod i have? This so far has happened about once every 5 syncs.

Thanks for any help anybody can offer

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Does the iPod show up in Disk Utility when it doesn't sync?

3. Roguepirate thread starter macrumors member

nope it doesn't show up.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmm, it may be unlikely to be the cause, but have you tried a different cable? And have you tried restoring the iPod?

5. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Even a different USB to eliminate a faulty one.

6. Roguepirate thread starter macrumors member

I'll try that when i get home, but i doubt it is the problem because after i reset the ipod, it'll sync without a problem using the same cable and usb port.

7. reubs macrumors 68000

I have this same problem, and I'm trying to troubleshoot it myself. I sync every day or two, so sometimes I sync it right up with the iPod powered off. I'm thinking that might be the problem, but I haven't completely verified it.

8. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Same here, iPod isnt showing up in iTunes, but it shows up on my desktop.
    I am going to try and reboot to see if that fixes the issue :confused:

EDIT: I restarted iTunes and the iPod came right up no problem. Hmm I wonder if it has anything to do with the .10 patch that's suppose to improve how OSX handles usb devices :p

EDIT EDIT: Sorry, I think I might have been describing a different problem?

9. Roguepirate thread starter macrumors member

I tried plugging into the other USB port and it worked fine. Weird that it didn't work in the other one. I had my wireless mouse plugged into the port that didn't work for the ipod and it was fine before and after i tried plugging in the ipod. Perhaps OSX did not disconnect the mouse yet when i tried to plug in the ipod, i need to experiment some more. Thanks for the heads up on using a different USB.