Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I upgraded to 2.0 a few days ago and since then whenever i open iTunes with my ipod connected, or i connect my ipod with with iTunes running, it just beachballs for about 30 seconds until the ipod shows up in the devices menu. what's the deal? is there some setting or something that's causing it to take so long?

macfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

it's happening to many people. If you want, you can report it to apple.

Suncusser

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Noticed the same thing but 30 seconds would be a relief. Usually takes more than 5 minutes to connect. I kept using the force Quit after 3-4 minutes but finally discovered that it will eventually come up if I just walk away and give it time. Just took 8.5 minutes this morning. When it does come up, it notes that I have several purchased apps on the Touch that were downloaded with another computer and asks me if I want to back them up. Goes through a backup but never changes anything on my iTunes (I get the same message every time).

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Consider that Apple just added more than a million new users to the pot. Take any server and start pinging it with an extra million users every day and see if it's doesn't slow down. :eek:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Consider that Apple just added more than a million new users to the pot. Take any server and start pinging it with an extra million users every day and see if it's doesn't slow down. :eek:

I don't think it has anything to do with Apple having added a million new users.

When I "upgraded" to 2.0, I too experienced the connection delay and spinning beachball. Frustrated, I "downgraded" to 1.1.5, and the delay and beachball are all gone now.

IMO, the delay is definitely related to 2.0.

Suncusser

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Read in the Apple discussions that 2.0 delays were due to automatic syncing and backup. Went to iTunes, turned off autosyncing in the preferences and plugged in the touch again. Still 8.5 minutes to go from plugged in to seeing the Touch show up in the window. But on the good side, I no longer get the window asking me if I want to backup the purchased apps. I'd go back to 1.1.5 but I like some of the new apps. I'm also getting used to the fact that the battery needs to be recharged everyday.

Sirus2400

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
I think it has more to do with iTunes 7.7 than the 2.0 software. I upgraded iTunes first, and have had a lag since then. (which 2.0 obviously didnt fix).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I upgraded to 2.0 a few days ago and since then whenever i open iTunes with my ipod connected, or i connect my ipod with with iTunes running, it just beachballs for about 30 seconds until the ipod shows up in the devices menu. what's the deal? is there some setting or something that's causing it to take so long?

Yeah i saw that too, and went poking around a bit.

If you go to activity monitor after you connect the iPod, and do get info on the itunes app process while the beachball is spinning, and look at the open files and ports tab, and scroll to the bottom of that panel, you can actually see the app marching through a bunch of your protected files on the mounted iPod device in real time, one by one.

In my case when I looked, it was opening a bunch of movies and videos, apparently. Anyway I saw a bunch of m4v files, and later on some m4p songs marching by (the front parts of the names were those compressed ipod-coded things so I don't know which tracks they were).

I don't know why it is doing what it's doing. It can't be all the files or I'd still be waiting for my Classic to mount from two days ago when I added some stuff to it. Something to do with checking DRM or marking files that are on the ipod but not on the computer I've connected it to? I often load music from one powerbook and movies from another one, onto any given video-capable iPod that I own, and I don't have a problem watching the content after that, or at least up til now I haven't. Maybe I should check that out before I find myself on the road with unplayable tracks.

Anyway it's odd to see that happening. I feel like I should be playing Sting's "Every breath you take" into my brain from some other Ipod while it's happening. Talk about Big Brother! "... every move you make..."

Meanwhile you're right that it takes a damn long time for iTunes to settle down and let me start adjusting the iPod's content. You said 30 seconds, is that how long it is, it feels like minutes. I guess I'm spoiled by how fast the device used to show up for work when I plugged it in before iTunes 7.7 came along.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
well there's nothing on my ipod thats not in my itunes library, so that's not the issue. i also don't automatically sync my ipod, i manually manage my music. but... could apps have something to do with it? i guess my apps are only on my ipod.

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
I agree with a previous poster, the server has nothing to do with the actual iTunes application launching. Maybe the iTunes store, but the application overall isn't affected by that one aspect.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I have 7.7 and 1.1.5 on my Touch, haven't noticed any slowdown when connecting to iTunes.

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
I forgot to mention: I've only experienced this slow down once with my Touch, running 2.0 on my iMac.

However, my girlfriend experiences this slowdown when she connects her Classic to her PC laptop running iTunes 7.7

So, it's not a 2.0 fault either, it seems.

therealmrbob

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
I had a problem with it.

then it stopped working at all (let it sit for 20 minutes)

I backed up my music deleted the iTunes library files and then added all my music again and everything works perfect (instant) now.

It may have something to do with upgrading the library or something?

Suncusser

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
7.7.1 is much better

Downloaded the 7.7.1 upgrade this morning and my Touch mounted in about 20 seconds as opposed to the previous 8.5 minutes.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Downloaded the 7.7.1 upgrade this morning and my Touch mounted in about 20 seconds as opposed to the previous 8.5 minutes.

yeah, after 7.7.1 it now takes about 5 seconds instead of 30-45. Great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.