Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
Hey guys, my friend just put his iPod through the washing machine. He took it out and it still worked somehow. It's a 30GB 5G iPod. The screen looks a little weird, but for the most part it works. Just wondering if there is anything he should be doing to make sure it keeps working. I had heard of shuffles still working after going through the laundry, but not an HD based one. Let me know if you have any thoughts. Thanks.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Ah yes, the age-old story. Search the forums here, you'll see there have been plenty of postings on this topic already. BTW from personal experience -- a friend washed her pink mini (never worked again); another friend dropped his wife's pink mini off his sailboat into the murky depths of Lake Erie (never seen again); and just yesterday I washed & dried my first-generation shuffle in my pocket (needed a recharge but otherwise works great, although the headphones are toast.)

Looks like your buddy just got himself a semi-reliable 30GB USB HD.

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
My friend did the exact same thing you describe. He left it out for a few days and it works still. I think that after a while it will have some effect thought. Water and electricity dont mix.

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
...Just wondering if there is anything he should be doing to make sure it keeps working...

I'd suggest not washing it again... :)

They do seal pretty darn well, but if some water got into the unit it will cause some damage over time. He could always take it in and have then open it up and check it; or just keep hoping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.