iPod to car stereo connection

Discussion in 'iPod' started by otep1760, Feb 4, 2008.

1. otep1760 macrumors regular

otep1760

can anyone inform me on an easy way to directly connect my ipod to my car stereo without a fm transmitter? i found a few connecters on ebay but i do not know if they are what i need..

my stereo is a Pioneer DEH-P3700mp

any help or information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. pointycollars macrumors regular

Honestly, for the best audio fidelity, I've found that those cassette tape adapters are the best - but then again, I have an old car and I know most newer cars don't even have a cassette player.

3. otep1760 thread starter macrumors regular

otep1760

yeah, i had one of those in my old car. but this vehicle has an aftermarket cd player in it, so its looking like an FM transmitter is the only solution.

i have an FM transmitter but it doesnt work too well. its decent and gets it to where i can hear the music but its slightly staticy and isnt very loud.

i know that there is a way to hook up the ipod directly to the cd player im just not sure how to do it, so i came here in hopes of someone being able to inform me.

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I got dension built in my renault. It acts like a CD changer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. otep1760 thread starter macrumors regular

otep1760

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

took a bit, but i found the manual....

looks like you can either get an ipod adapter or it allows for aux input yes?

might want to email pioneer and make sure one of those two are viable.
    what this means if it is ipod adapter ready is that they make an adapter that can be added that connects to your unit. if its has aux inputs you can just get some cables that plug into the back and end in a mini jack and plug in your ipod that way, which is what i do with my unit, although different brand.

7. otep1760 thread starter macrumors regular

otep1760

so is it possible that it has an 1/8" aux input on the back of the stereo? in that case i wouldnt have to buy a cable that converts the cd changer to where i can use it as an auxiliary plugin

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

unlikely that it'll have a mini plug on the back. but the one that would fix the aux would be easy enough to find. should just be red/white lead to mini plug.

unless you have something hooked up to the aux port already, that'll complicate the setup.

9. otep1760 thread starter macrumors regular

otep1760

no i dont have anything plugged into that.

im going to order the cable that was posted in the #2 (i think) post.
    that should do it right? just plug the one end into the aux port, and then get an 1/8" to 1/8" cable to connect it from the first cable to the iPod?

seems easy enough...

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...RCA+Audio+Cable&type=product&id=1181832400224

should work in one cord. the RCA plugs into the back. the mini plug to your ipod headphone port.

11. otep1760 thread starter macrumors regular

otep1760

im not sure that the stereo has RCA jacks in the back.

is there anyway to be sure, other than removing the whole thing?

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not that i know of.

ooooh looking through the manual it says this:

aaaaand i have no idea what that means. but its a place to start looking i guess. just trying to make sure we find you the right stuff from the start :)

13. otep1760 thread starter macrumors regular

otep1760

im getting the hang of this, i think ive found a couple different cables that would work.

ive also emailed pioneer asking them which cables would be compatible.

thanks very much for all the help, i appreciate it

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no problem, shame that things like this can't be simple.

15. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

all you need is the Pioneer iPod controller. One plug and its quite simple to install. The part number is Pioneer CD-IB100ii. It will plug in in the back of the headunit and fall into place in your sources. You will have control over the iPod and the clarity is better than FM modulator or even an aux plug. It will also handle the charging. My fiance has one for her Pioneer headunit and its great.

On the pioneers either way you have to buy a plug, either to iPod or to aux (stereo coax plugs) and you might has well just go for the iPod controller. Much better solution and only 1 plug.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thought this was possible, but wasn't sure if his supported the ipod adapter.

17. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I double checked to make sure. You can get it direct from amazon or if your not sure how to install it than you might want to go to stereo show that sells pioneer. I wouldnt go to best buy or circuit city as they do some pretty scary electrical work. But your neighborhood stereo/tint/alarm shop should do a good job.