iPod totally dead

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Ron Miel, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Ron Miel macrumors newbie

I've just been given a second hand Nano. Its totally dead, there's no reaction at all. I've tried plugging itto a mains charger, with no response. The computer doesn't see it when I connect it to USB. There's no power at all.

Does this indicate a dead battery, or something else? Would fitting a replacement battery be likely to solve the problem?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

How old is it? This happened to my 5th generation full iPod (just completely died one day without warning) and the reseller replaced it with a brand new one, no questions asked. If it's not too old then you might be able to do the same.

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

You can try taking it in to the Apple store; in my experience they've been pretty good about replacing dead iPods.

4. Ron Miel thread starter macrumors newbie

its part of a job lot of stuff I got recently. I don't know how old it is, and obviously no receipt. The apple shop isn't going to replace it.

5. Laura123 macrumors newbie

Sounds Like Dead battery

Yep, same thing happened to me. Check out third party companies like ipodjuice.com or ipodminibattery.com - they have kits but i think for the nano you have to send it in to them since that battery is soldered in (unless you are familiar with that type of thing). My ipod mini battery died and they sent me a kit and it worked great.

-laura

6. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I have one that does the same thing...

Even with a dead battery wouldn't it show up on the computer though since the USB port is powered?