Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
As the title really.

Is this a possibility, seeing as Apple has put 3G in the iPads, could it see it's way into the iPod Touch?

Seeing as the iPod Touch has Wifi, this is just a step closer to connectivity on the go, all the time.

Only problem I see is the product overlap would be too great. Potential iPad buyers going for what would inevitably be a cheaper iPod Touch which would be able to do pretty much everything the iPad can.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
They have that already, it's called the iPhone ;)

True, however, for those that do not want a phone contract and the phone features (I had an iPhone 3G, but now use a BlackBerry as I feel it is a better communications device) the iPhone is pricey to by unlocked and on PAYG.

Quite a nice niche to fill.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I would go for an iPod Touch wifi+3G and have it along with my iPad wifi+3G.

I really don't want the phone element of the iPhone. Maybe SMS, but no phone.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
No.

iPad ≠ iPhone

If the iPad was able to make phone calls and it could fit into my pocket, then it would make it redundant.

No, but the iPhone can fit in your pocket and make calls.

What does the iPad do that the iPhone doesn't/ can't?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
No, but the iPhone can fit in your pocket and make calls.

Yeah, I just said that. And the iPad can't.

What does the iPad do that the iPhone doesn't/ can't?

This is completely off topic.

I'm guessing you haven't used one yet.

It's a completely different experience on the iPad. I can read comfortably, there is more screen real estate, I don't have to constantly zoom in and out to see things on the screen, more info can be displayed on the screen, there is less need for dedicated apps that were a better way to view websites on the iPhone, surfing the web and watching movies/videos is a pleasure, viewing photos is better, etc...... need I go on?

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Yeah, I just said that. And the iPad can't.

This is completely off topic.

I'm guessing you haven't used one yet.

It's a completely different experience on the iPad. I can read comfortably, there is more screen real estate, I don't have to constantly zoom in and out to see things on the screen, more info can be displayed on the screen, there is less need for dedicated apps that were a better way to view websites on the iPhone, surfing the web and watching movies/videos is a pleasure, viewing photos is better, etc...... need I go on?

Ok so cool, it's the experience :). Convincing. (I have used one)

ipad is basically your only option for the foreseeable future.

Dam.

JohnSFO

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I really want a Touch with wifi+3g too! I personally think it's a possibility since they allowed the iPad to have 3g. Most people aren't going to walk away from their cell phones just because the Touch can suddenly access 3g. I see this as an enhancement to one of Apple's products. People are going to buy one or the other, so it doesn't really hurt Apple's bottom line.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wireless hotspot on Nexus One + iPod touch = DONE! :D

If you have a smartphone you may be able to wifi tether which is well worth looking into. If only the iPod touch was able to connect via Bluetooth DUN then almost any dumbphone would work too. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.