iPod touch: 1.1.4 update and the dreaded 1604 error

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IJ Reilly, Mar 1, 2008.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I tried to update my touch to 1.1.4. What a calamity! The touch refused to update, and then demanded to be restored. After several "1604" errors I finally got the thing running. It's bad enough that I now have to reload all of my music and videos, but even after the touch was restored (from the backup) the mobile applications are missing. How do I force the touch to give back my applications?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

It's as simple as asking iTunes to 'Sync' from the iPod's 'Summary' tab.

Make sure you have 'Manually Manage Music' disabled.

You should see a status message in the top window of iTunes flash 'Syncing Applications to [Name of iPod]' briefly.\

If you are currently syncing, your applications will be added after all your media has been synced.

R-Fly

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What if I don't want to copy any music from this Mac to this iPod?

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Is this the Mac you bought the update on? - It has to be the Mac/Pc you bought the update on to sync the applications.

If it is, iTunes can only sync the applications using an automatic sync (basically meaning, it can only sync with manually manage music disabled). Therefore, it is inevitable that the media from this Mac, will be synced to the device.

EDIT: If it is not, you MUST connect your device to the PC/Mac which you bought the January Update on, in order for iTunes to re-sync the applications. The application file is stored in:

~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

As long as this file, is in the stated directory, iTunes will always, without fail, sync the applications to whichever iPod touch you connect to that Mac/PC.

R-Fly

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It is the Mac I bought the update on, yes -- but I keep most of my music library on another Mac.

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Use this Mac to sync the applications through the method I stated ... Ok, your going to lose your music, but once you re-connect to your Mac which contains your favorite library, iTunes will just re-sync your music, and leave the app pack installed.

EDIT:

OR

Locate the application file, in the directory:

~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

and move it to the extact same directory on the Mac which contains your preferred music library, then re-sync.

Hope you resolve your problem.

R-Fly

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'd actually tried this already, but I probably didn't deselect "manage music manually."

Thanks for the help. Now all I need to do is reload 12 GB of music via USB 1.1. :(

8. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

No problem, any time.

And .. all I can say is, Ouch. lol

R-Fly

9. ViP3r macrumors newbie

10. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Yep, like me *shock-horror!*. $20 (£12.99) isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. I tried jail-breaking before buying the update, I saw what I was going to 'gain' over apple-locked, and I have to say, most applications are poorly written, and most are unbelievably unstable. Being able to move icons around my home screen, out of my dock, at my beckon call, cletched it for me, so I took the plunge. I also didn't fancy having to go through a jail-break process every-time Apple decide to push an update. So I'm apple-locked with the Jan update installed, content, and waiting for the fruits of the up-coming SDK. :)

R-Fly

11. dkallan macrumors newbie

I successfully updated to 1.1.4 from 1.1.3 (With software update).
    I have a 8GB Itouch bought Jan 8/08. I use HP laptop with Vista Premium (horrors to Mac users - I'm ordering a Macbook Pro when they are available).

I seems the 1.1.4 update was only a bugfix as can see no difference from 1.1.3.

12. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I am back up and running with 1.1.4 and the mobile applications, and all my music. (whew!)

Bug fixes are good things... but I don't know why this one refused to "take" the first time, let alone why it hosed my touch completely in the process.