Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Hi,

Since iOS 9 update I have an annoying problem with my Touch (4th gen I believe)

It's been hit with the old standby and battery usage being the same so it's 100% lock screen usage it says and 100% battery usage and then totally drained / dead.

I've tried a full restore and it was okay for a while but now it's back.

Problem is, not only is the battery totally dead when I get it out of my bag to listen to on the daily commute, there's been a couple of times when I've caught it in the act so to speak and it's been really, really hot. Not oh my god I can fry an egg on it but hot and I'm worried one time it might spontaneously combust.

Anything I can do? Throwing it away and buying a new one is not an option as I am not made of money and I think it's apples fault as opposed to my own but it's not under warranty of course.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Maybe restore firmware without restoring from backup? Also, I wasn’t aware that the 4 had iOS 9. Maybe it is the taller 5 or 6? Is the back the mirrored stainless steel or is it the coloured aluminium?

You could get a free quote from the Apple store, but I doubt they will fix it for free.

Rich74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
My apologies, it is indeed a 5th Generation model.

I have in fact tried setting up as a brand new device so not restoring from a backup too.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
I have an iPod touch that I think may be the early 5th gen touch but it only has the front facing camera while the new ones are double sided.

It seems that every time I go to use it, it seems like my battery is dead. I use it for an hour and then I go to use it the next day and the battery is drained by half just by leaving it on standby? Is there an issue with my battery? Of course I decided to tolerate it for longer than a year but is there a way to check my battery health?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
I have an iPod touch that I think may be the early 5th gen touch but it only has the front facing camera while the new ones are double sided.

It seems that every time I go to use it, it seems like my battery is dead. I use it for an hour and then I go to use it the next day and the battery is drained by half just by leaving it on standby? Is there an issue with my battery? Of course I decided to tolerate it for longer than a year but is there a way to check my battery health?

Do you keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on? That can easily account for about 10% drop overnight.

Do you have an app that constantly runs to keep itself up to date? Facebook is famous for this.

SarahCat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2014
Do you keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on? That can easily account for about 10% drop overnight.

Do you have an app that constantly runs to keep itself up to date? Facebook is famous for this.

I keep wifi but turn off bluetooth and any apps that might push data except for FaceTime and iMessage. Turning it completely off via the slide to power off option helps but its a bit inconvenient. I questioned whether I needed to get it looked at but Ive had it for over a year already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.