iPod Touch 16G vs iPod Classic 80G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Grafted, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Grafted macrumors newbie

I initially intended to put this up in the Buyer's Guide subforum, but I could only see Macbooks and TVs there. Eventually, I chose this subforum over the General iPod and iTunes forum because my mind is inclined on the Touch and Im pretty curious about it. If the mods feel there is a better place, then so be it. Thanks.

I have about 4 Gigabytes of music alongwith, 2 Gigabytes more on my CDs. I have about 5 GBs of movies and videos. Photos, I got about 400MB. Now, I doubt if I'll ever use up the Classic's 80Gigs, but Im also not sure if 16G is enough for storing more movies in the future.

80G is something awesome. Prolly, I can fit every single thing I ever store on my PC in it. Its also the tried and tested version of the iPod. Im sort of used to the click wheel and I need a strong battery life.

But whatever say, Im still pretty optimistic about the Touch. 16gigs might not be enough in the long run, but the very idea of a touchscreen gadget makes me shiver with excitement. a 16g touch costs about the same as an 8G iPhone; but if I buy a phone, I know I will never listen to music on it. I have a good phone anyway. Touch is what I always wanted, touchpad, large screen and wifi. Wifi, now thats one thing I need someone to tell me about. Moreover, im worried about scratches, battery life and the screen resistance to oily/wet hands.

Advice?

2. touchman macrumors member

what about the 32gb touch? the screen is crystal glass not plastic so it's pretty hard to scratch, the battery life on mine is superb but it's on my ipod hifi alot which charges it.

3. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

I had the 60GB iPod and was afraid the 16GB iPod Touch wouldn't be enough for me...
    but let me say I bought it and it is wonderful.
    16GB is more than enough for day to day use (just refresh it more often if you want new things on it), battery life is better than expected and touch screen is so cool it's really impossible to explain if you haven't tried it...!

So i would go with that one. :)

4. lamadude macrumors 6502

If your music collection doesn't require the 80Gb I would go for the Touch. Although I have to say that I prefer the classic iPods for music playback, it's easier to quickly navigate and change the volume more precisely I think.
    But of course for video the Touch is way better + you get all the internet features that the classic doesn't have.

5. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

WiFi is Wireless internet connection. It stands for Wireless Fidelity - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wifi.

Basically someone has a DSL/Cable Modem/T1/other internet connection, and they attach a box that will convert that signal into one that can be broadcast to other devices. Those boxes are typically called "routers." The router will take on your computer's harware address so that your provider thinks that your computer is connected. The router then will distribute other addresses to your computer in the livingroom, the computer in the kitchen, etc. or anything else that is networkable.

Wifi takes that a step further in readying the signal from your provider for Wireless use. Some devices (like the iPod Touch/iPhone) have a wireless radio built in that is capable of received the wireless signal from your wireless router. So instead of the router JUST handing out addresses to hardwired equipment, it can hand out addresses via WiFi to your wireless equipped devices.

There are many different types of WiFi, and they are denoted by a single letter behind 802.11 (the wireless "standard"). Basically 802.11b = fast... 802.11g = faster... 802.11n = fastest. (I wont even get in to 802.11a)

DLink, Linksys, etc are makers of wireless routers, and you can pick one up at Best Buy, Circuit City for around $50. You must have a "broadband" connection to add a router of this nature. EDIT: Yeah, Apple makes these too :) I almost forgot, honestly (and I own 2 of them... I must need more coffee)

In a nutshell, WiFi lets you sit on the couch and surf the net (with no wires).

Hopefully that helps (and is not... confusing...)

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

That's what I was going to suggest. If it's a money thing, though, and you can't afford a 32GB, then I'd say go with the 16GB. As others have pointed out, you can always pick and choose what you want on it.

7. jacktiernan macrumors regular

Oh dude, go the touch.... you won't be disappointed.

At the time of buying my touch, I had about 9gb of music, 10gb of videos and a couple of hundred megs of photos.

Basically, I have all my music on it, and usually 3-4 movies and a good handful of TV shows, plus around 10 video podcasts.

The TV shows and movies get swapped for something else once i watch them... I reckon i probably spend 15mins a week doing that.

So yup, go the touch mate... it's awesome.

PS - Jailbreak it too :)

8. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Two completely different beasts. One is a mobile internet device that happens to house a great ipod, if only 8, 16, or 32 gb's of flash memory. No moving parts. The other is an ipod with a mini-hard drive inside.

Your main use must be examined. If you want an ipod to take to the gym, skip the touch. In fact, just get a nano. If you want a device that lets you check your email, surf the web, watch movies, listen to songs, check your stocks, check the weather.... you gettin' the picture?

Two completely different animals. I'm not even sure why they put the words ipod and touch together when referring to this product. (well, actually, I do know... brand awareness, but I digress...)

9. anmoldagreat macrumors member

i never really understood the whole thing where people want to carry all their music and movies and pictures with them.
    thats crazy to me. like who really needs to have all of that with them on a daily basis.

i have a 16gb touch and never once thought of wanting to watch a movie on there and if i did. i have youtube....
    for any real movies id rather not degrade it so much to watch it on a very subpar screen.

i have over 200gbs of music, about 50gbs of pictures (photographer), and atleast 300gbs of movies. but im totally fine with my 16gb touch. i have about a gb of pics on it and the rest movies and apps.

why carry it all. thats what a laptop is for...

anyway thats just my 2cents...

10. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I guess I"m the target market. Middle aged guy that travels just about every week. Lots of time on planes and in airports. I love my touch.

11. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

Go with the touch...get a laptop if you want to carry EVERYTHING around with you.

12. friekunater macrumors 6502

GET THE TOUCH!!!! wi-fi is amazing! wherever there's Internet, you can do anything you want on it! thats probably my favorite and most-used feature, next to the iPod(which is also amazing). the only bad thing in my mind is the battery life. but, using it >4 hrs/day, I may be to blame lol. but being as I am, typing this out on a 16GB, I can honestly say that it's overlookable

13. atomheartmother macrumors regular

Do you really need all of that media on the iPod at once? Do you not have frequent access to the computer to which the iPod will be linked? You realize that you could just rotate things in and out. Chances are you don't need ALL of your movies on there at once (the same goes for music), as it's unlikely you'll be watching all the movies before you can re-sync your iPod.

Though, what it really comes down to is if you need all of the functionality of the Touch. The Touch and the Classic are really apples and oranges. The Touch is more of a PDA/mini-computer whereas the Classic is an MP3/digital media player. If you like the idea of having wifi and other computer-like functions built into your iPod (and you'll use those functions a lot), go for the Touch. If you're looking primarily for an MP3 player, go for the Classic.

14. touchher macrumors regular

With WWDC just around the corner (the AppStore is coming!), I recommend waiting till June until making your decision... Prices may drop, revisions made, memory increased- who knows!

15. Grafted thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! You all have almost convinced me to go with my heart! My my, we have some good salesmen here!

Thats my only issue left. I'm desperate to get a new iPod, especially since my old Nano's bleeding on the thorns of life..