Ipod Touch 16gb Enough?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AppleNinja, Feb 20, 2008.

1. AppleNinja macrumors member

AppleNinja

Hey guys i was just wondering do you think that a 16Gb is big enough for me? i mean i can sacifice trading out my movies and i want to put hacked games on it while still having the 2500 songs on it... i would like atleast 4 movies at a time...compressed of course.. so can you ipod touch owners give me some insight... i don't want the 32gb it costs to much....

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I have 1600 high quality (256 Mbps+) songs, and that only takes up 10 GB. Games don't take up much at all, all of your applications and games won't pass 1 GB. You can compress 3-4 decent length videos with slightly larger than 320x480 resolution (so you can zoom in to remove borders) to about 2 GB easily. It all matters how big your music collection is, so it matters what the quality is of what you have.

3. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

if you think it is not enough, buy 32GB. why not? but you can manage all songs without storing in touch. make smart playlist with itunes. then rotating songs everyday. this is the way I deal with mine. well, actually it's been a long time since I had ipod in 2002.

4. TP-Eric macrumors member

It definitely wasn't enough for me. I had to make a playlist that cut a large portion of my library out to fit on the 16GB. Once I upgraded to the 32GB I had a lot more breathing room and was able to include much more. Right now I have over 2,500 songs on my Touch, though most of them are of higher quality (160k-320k, some VBR). I still can't fit everything on it, but it's a lot better than it used to be.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

If you can afford it, get the 32GB. $100 for 16GB is a heck of a deal! :apple:

6. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

16GB is great. I thought at first it wouldn't be enough, but that's because I wasn't managing my library as efficiently. I don't watch a lot of video, but I have a lot of music. I took the time to go through my library and "check" songs I wanted on, and decreased the amount I synced normally by 3 GB.

Apps won't take up even 500 MB (say 8-10 apps in that much) if they are efficiently coded, I think.

For the record my iPod stats are:

1664 Songs (Of which 2 are podcasts about 40 minutes long) = 9.06 GB
    15 Videos (All generally music videos not bigger than 10 min, except two which are 40 minutes long formatted for the iPod so they save space) = 307.1 MB (thanks, Mikel)
    50 Photos = 32.3 MB
    Other space is 113.9, which is probably just the optimization and the fact a lot of my songs have lyrics on them (and apparently OS and apps, thanks eXan)

I have 5.33 GB of space left.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

"Other" is iPod OS + apps.

8. mikelcroft macrumors regular

:eek: :p

9. 7even macrumors 6502a

You'd probably be fine with 16 gigs if you can manage your collection a bit. I have the 32gb version just because I feel weird leaving any part of my music collection at home and I want extra space for the moment I get a few new CDs and don't feel like sifting through my existing collection to get rid of stuff :p

For the record, my entire collection of music (1900ish songs, ~11.9 gigs) and videos (42 vids, ~2.03 gigs, mainly music videos) fits on a 16gb Touch with a bit of space left over.

10. gothiquegirrl macrumors regular

gothiquegirrl

As with anything, i am sure that it varies person to person.. but I have found for how *I* use my touch- 16gb is fine. However, I also have a 5th gen video iPod that i use for the bulk of my music. My touch is used more for it's PDA qualities. The fact it plays music is an afterthought. I find as far as media goes I watch more videos on it than listen to music. I just put a few shows on there every few days to watch when I have time.

ang

11. EdwardsNH macrumors member

I see a theme :)

I picked up a 32 GB 'cause I will put a lot of video on it, plus I'm hoping an update eventually lets me use wifi to update my podcast through iTunes.

The common theme I'm seeing here though, seems to be if you plan on using it for video, the bigger the better. If not 16 GB should be plenty 'nuff.

12. le prof jf macrumors newbie

Storage crazyness....

Hi,

I first bought a 20 go 3rd gen Ipod ,then a 1st gen Nano 1go and now an IPod touch 8go.....That leaves me with almost 30go....On my first IPod,9 go are left and I coupled it with a Tivoli Audio table radio in my bedroom,the nano is full and takes place in my camera bag and my IPod touch is my computer on the go to surf and write e-mail on my table next to my recliner whenever I need it....

The common problem with storage is that we are anxious to have the most storage as possible but ask yourself this question;which album or songs do I really like to listen without having this boredom over and over....I bet you have at least 20 to 50 albums "that you really like".....

So be cautious when looking at storage;better think twice like the song by Poco!

Le prof JF
    Quebec Canada

13. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

My 16GB currently has about 12GB of video on it - which equates to ~1.5 DAYS of video.

At a more granular level, a 1 hour (45 min. real time) TV show, H.264/800kbps/430x320, comes in at maybe 350MB.

On audio, a quick calculation shows that, if most AAC/128kbps files are ~4MB, 2500 should take up ~9.76 GB. Based on that & some of the video details, you could easily get a fair amount of video + all of your music on the 16GB.

But, a caution...the Touch is not a great music player. No external controls, no external volume - you have to take the thing out, wake it up, & futz with the screen just to lower the sound, let alone change tracks. It's not practical just to put in your pocket & use like an MP3 player. If I'd bought it for audio, I'd have returned it. It's a video player first & foremost, then increasingly a PDA, and only incidentally an audio player.

So, I'd advise this: Wait for a form revision that adds iPhone-style external controls.

Otherwise, 16GB is fine, but buyer beware on the audio side.

14. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Oh whatever. I only bought it as an upgrade to my last audio player, an iPod 5G...I figured I like the fact it is a PDA and the Safari and having the internet in my pocket, but I don't watch video at all, I just have some for show and tell I guess. I mainly use it for music.

I can see why one would think it is a pain in the ass, but if you make playlists and go on shuffle, it is very nice to have.

You physically active people? Stick with a wheel iPod.

15. fandsw macrumors regular

Just exchanged my 16GB for the 32GB while still within the 30day exchange period. Makes it more future proof IMO, especially with Apps coming. I use mine as a travel companion, watching movies while at the airport and on the plane. A 2 hour movie ripped from DVD via Handbrake at Touch settings is about 1GB.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I have a 16GB one and I do wish that it was 64GB or even 128GB. So I'd definitely say 32GB. :D

17. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

I have a 16GB iPod touch, it's tons of space for me.

726 Songs @ 2.74 GB
    4 Movies, 1 Movie Trailer @ 4.89GB
    240 Photos @ 160MB
    1 TV Show @ 355.4MB
    Free Space: 6.55GB

Going to be putting a few episodes at a time of some of my fav. TV Shows. Right now I'm putting Heroes Season 1, Lost Seasons 1-3, Prison Break Seasons 1-2 and House Seasons 1-2 on my computer.

18. sers macrumors regular

I've got all my songs (about 1Gb worth), a ton of videos, almost 600 photos, all my contacts, calendar events, etc. on my 16gb. Still have loads of room left over.

It all depends on how much data you need to bring with you at any one time.

19. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

I'm doing great with my new 8GB... it all depends on how you place on using it... i don't mind syncing mine every couple of days so there is really no need for me to have tons of movies there...

Right now:

3 music playlists... about 500 songs
    3 movies
    2 tv episodes
    7 video podcasts
    1 photo album... 20 photos

and plenty of room for more...