iPod Touch 16gb wont update from 2.2.1 to 3.1.3

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yesiamsassy, Jun 1, 2010.

1. yesiamsassy macrumors newbie

I have a 16 GB iPod Touch and iTunes 9 and i downloaded the update 3.1.3..when it tries to install it gives general error that the back up services failed and to disconnect and reconnect and try again...after 5 times it still isnt updating...:mad:

Any Ideas? My iTouch is about 1 year old maybe a lil older.....

I have successfully update a new 32GB under a different account (my Girlfriend's) on my computer....so it isnt iTunes version or connection issue

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Question: When you say that you updated your girlfriend's iPod on her account, are you referring to her iTunes account or her account on the computer?

In any event, I see this working out in a couple ways: 1) either try updating on another computer, 2) you may need to delete your device backup which is saved locally on the computer before trying the update.

See this for more info.

To delete your device backup, access iTunes Preferences, go to Devices, select your iPod's name from the list, and click Delete Backup. Note that this does will prevent you from restoring to backup until a new backup is created. If you are concerned about deleting the backup, you can rename your device in the iTunes sidebar and the next sync will create an entirely separate backup.

3. yesiamsassy thread starter macrumors newbie

Follow Up

My apologies, I meant i already have iTunes 9 and i successfully updated her iPod (it was brand new 3rd gen 32gb i just bought yesterday so it was really already updated..just went through the motions of checking-so i guess it didnt really back up on my computer..:::sorry:::)

I will try what you said and get back to you-thanks for the info..not sure why it is so hard to find an answer to something like this.....:eek:

4. yesiamsassy thread starter macrumors newbie

grrrrrr

That didnt work either..there are no backups to re-name

5. mchendricks macrumors member

Paid upgrade

I don't think you realize that you need to BUY this update to the OS. It is free if you are already running 3.x.x, but not from 2.x.x.It can be purchased through itunes for $4.95 USD. Once you purchase and download it, it should install fine.

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

mchendricks, it sounds to me like the OP already purchased it (@yesiamsassy: you did, right?), the issue is with iTunes trying to backup the iPod touch before it begins the install. I still have the niggling feeling there is something afoul with, if not the non-existent backups, perhaps the backup directory? Under the About Syncing and Backups portion of the support article, is listed the location of the backup directory on your computer. Have you tried to delete or rename the directory on your computer and allowed it to create a new location?

7. yesiamsassy thread starter macrumors newbie

Will try it

Jedi,

Will try that-as for purchasing the update well yes, i am aware you have to purchase and if i am correct in remembering the steps..iTunes doesnt try to back up the iTouch until after the download has well, been paid for and downloaded therefore i believe my original question addressed the part on whether i paid and downloaded the update