iPod Touch 1G (16GB) Jailbreak Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by smhjr1, Jan 13, 2009.

1. smhjr1 macrumors newbie

Just a quick question: Does jailbreaking a 1G iPod Touch 16GB (MA627LL/A) void its ability to sync music or applications bought from the iTunes store or elsewhere?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Jailbreaking doesn't interfere with an iphone/ipod's normal abilities. iTunes syncing and the app store work as normal.

3. smhjr1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another quick question... can I jailbreak the 1G iPod Touch if the firmware is upgraded to 2.2?

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I have a 16GB 1st Gen running jailbroken 2.2, so yes you can. I just used the latest QuickPwn from my Mini.

5. Ol40 macrumors newbie

Question

I heard there as a way to use your home wifi at school or somewhere else using a jailbroken iPod touch. I am wondering is this true and if it is how do u set it up? Thank you.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If an wifi connection is "open," that is, not password protected, your Touch can connect to it, no need to jailbreak. If it's closed, then accessing it is illegal, and not a topic to be discussed in this forum.

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Not any more illegal than breaking encryption on an iPod/iPhone (also known as jail-breaking), but people have decided that that's acceptable.

To answer the question, there is an application available, but I think it is more of a proof of concept than anything else, and only the technologically skilled will be able to make sense of its output.

EDIT: I misread the question. Did you actually mean use your home network? That's not physically possible. If you meant you wanted to crack the Wifi someplace else, my answer applies.

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Umm, what? If your school or other place has Wi Fi then you could try to access that, but you wouldn't be able to access your home Wi Fi from there; a router only sends signal for a certain distance around it, it's not like jailbreaking is going to somehow make the router suddenly increase it's signal strength.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The big difference, though, is people jailbreaking iphone/touch own that device. People trying to access locked wifi are breaking encryption on other people's property. Like, if you lose the key to your house, it's perfectly legal for you to call a locksmith to break open the lock. If you break the lock on another person's house, walk in there and use their phone, that's breaking and entering.

10. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I never said there wasn't a difference, but an activity is either illegal or it isn't. (There's a debatable gray area, I'd say those ones are just harder to determine).

Also, I never said I agreed with the law. But just as ripping your own DVDs is breaking encryption and therefore in violation of the badly written and arguably worthless DMCA, so too is "opening" your ipod.