Ipod Touch 1G Battery?HELP ASAP plz

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Manikstor, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Manikstor macrumors member

so my ipod touch has been really weird with the battery! and i only get about 2 hrs when using applications like facebook etc..

not only that but my battery jumps.. like sometimes it goes from 40% to 18% and back up to 38% and.. its weird..

Should i take it to the apple store and get it fix?

2. Gyrferret macrumors regular

Gyrferret

Magic 8-Ball says:

"Yes, but only if she shows signs of liking you"

3. dark-saito macrumors regular

How long have you had said iPod...? Assuming it's a between a 1-2 years, it's only bound to happen that your battery runs out of charge, and your iPod doesn't know how to react to the sudden emptiness of your soul...er, battery. (I had to.)

It's unlikely Apple will bother with it... your year warranty is definitely up by now, so they can't do much.

Sell it to an unsuspecting relative and buy you a new one come September 9th!

4. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

i see.. but it only seems to happen when its jailbroken btw its the 1 gen ipod touch!

and why sept. 9 ? whats going on sept. 9

and i was thinking of selling.. idk for like 100 dollars..

5. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I would wait until the 3g comes out...My 1st gen was starting to have less life, so I sold it for really cheap (The buyer knew the batt was going bad) and now I am waiting for the 3g..

6. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

The 9th is the Apple Keynote, they will be releasing the iPod touch 3g. And yes, 100 seems ok since the batt is going bad. Just make sure the buyer knows it's going bad. :)

7. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

I see..
    wow now that u told me about the 9th im kinda excited..

i def. won't have enough money to purchase the new ipod touch because of college :(

but im gonna save up and get it by decemeber!
    and sell this one.

Btw one last question

i bought this ipod last year after christmas.. and im almost 99% sure that the apple care warranty was for 1 year.. so basically its still under that warranty you think i can take it in and get it replaced, the battery or would they replace it with a refurbished one?

8. remmy macrumors 6502a

Really wish it was possible to change the battery. Would hate to buy a £214 16gb ipod touch and then find after a few years there were problems with the battery. I have that trouble now with my mp3 player, go full to empty in 1 hour.

9. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

So do you think the apple store would be able to trade me for a new refurbished one?

or maybe swap battery's?

10. dark-saito macrumors regular

I wanna know where you got a first gen iPod touch in December of 2008... Unlikely, however, if you received it NEW, your warranty will start on purchase date, so yes, it should work.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Refurbished, most likely. I bought my first gen Touch in November of 2008 as a refurb, and they still pop up from time to time. And all refurbs come with a one year warranty.

12. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

Yes im sorry i bought it refurbished.

but like he said all refurbished come with a one year warranty like the new one's with that apple care warranty thing..

so im guessing i should be covered, right?

13. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

im sorry to be anoying.. but im going to the apple store today and i want to see if the battery really is messing up..

before i had 60% and i was on wifi for about roughly 40-50 min.. and it went down to 25% is that normal? should i take it in? do they test the ipod's battery?

i thought u were suppost to get about 5 hrs..?

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It depends on screen brightness, if things like bluetooth are on, if you are playing music in the background etc.

15. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

well the brightness doesn't reach more than half way i say it was about a quater.. maybe a tiny lil bit more.

i dont have bluetooth sine its 1G
    and i was not playing music in the background.

i was just testing simple internet, to see how fast the battery would drain.? is that normal? to drain 60% down to 25%

in the apple store it says 5 hrs of video when fully charged.. so at 60% which is a lil more than half it should give me roughly 2 1/2 hrs of wifi, am i correct?

16. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

He said in the title, it's a 1st gen touch, so it does not have bluetooth.

As for the battery issue, I have a 1st gen touch, and after an hour or so of Wi-Fi use, the battery drains alot, for example from 100% to 90% or 85%.

So it's completely normal, from my point of view.

17. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

yea i see but my dilemma is that im still under the apple care warranty.. and that should be over sometimes within the next couple month's if my battery is dying and suffering the way it is, can i just take advantage of the apple care so they can either replace my battery or give me a refurbish ipod.

18. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Well I guess you'll know when you go to the Apple Store today. I hope you get it replaced.

19. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

How long were you using it when it was at 60% and dropped to 25%?

To me, that sounds like something's wrong with the battery, even if it's a refurbished one. My guess, the battery was abused in the past use. I would definitely take it to Apple and see what's up. If they decide to swap your's with another refurbished, give it a shot. I doubt it'll have the battery life of this one.

20. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

yea i hope so too,

do you know if they check the battery?

if they do replace it, im trying to figure how their going to get a 1G since they dont sell them anymore, i think.

to answer the question above i was using it for roughly 45-55 min.. so approx about 1 hr

21. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

Well Just to Inform You guys!

I went to the apple store.

the guy at the genius bar helped me out i explained to him my problem he was checking it.. and seen the ipod..etc..

after a while he realised that i had just restore it to original setting, he told me that next time something like that happens not to restore it because thats how they can tell if something is wrong with my battery, but he said he would take my word for it that the battery was faulty and replace it.
    So i got it replaced!

I really didnt know about the restoring procedure, the reason i did that was because i didnt want them to have any of my information like email,facebook,contacts etc!

22. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Congrats! They are great about replacements. How is the new one? Did you get a 1st gen?

23. Manikstor thread starter macrumors member

the new one has way better battery life i been using it for the past 3 days and battery is about 90% so its doing well and yea i got a 1G

i was hoping they made a mistake and gave me a 2G or i was also hoping they said we can reaplace it and upgrade to a 2g for an additional cost, say 60-70 dolalrs.. i would accept it..

but unfortunately that didnt happen.. im stuk with the 1G lol

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Meh, the 1G is still a good iPod. I personally prefer the non-curved backplate - it doesn't spin when you use it on a desk. ;)