iPod touch 1g charger for 3g iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by whywon, Apr 12, 2010.

1. whywon macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded from a 1g Touch to a 3g touch. Will my old 1g Griffin brand wall charger work for the new 3g? I have already charged it once with it but I worry that it doesn't have the right amount of power output or something like people sometimes talk about. Thanx

2. kunal123 macrumors member

3. brownieguy19 macrumors regular

It won't work if your charger is FW based. It has to be USB based.

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

And confusingly enough, it could easily be firewire based but still connect to the iPod using USB. The only real way to know for sure is to try it with the new iPod.

5. whywon thread starter macrumors newbie

It definetly is USB. I was just worried that the 1g and 3g took different volts or something. It charges just fine. I just worry about the long run and battery life.

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Oops, I missed that you'd already used it. Yeah, if it worked once, you're fine. No reason to worry about impact on long-term battery life.

The only minor issue you could hit is that it might charge more slowly than an Apple-branded charger, but that's just a matter of the amperage the charger puts out. And that would have been true with your old iPod too. It won't hurt anything.

7. bthockey macrumors newbie

Yeah, it will work. The same power adapters and chargers work for every Apple mobile device. iPhone, iPod, and iPad.

8. whywon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx guys. I have relief now. Lol, I've been doing all of this with my new iPod.