iPod touch 1st gen mini-speaker problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by Marcquito, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Marcquito macrumors member

Marcquito

Hopefully this has a simple solution and I'm just overlooking something.... but, recently my mini internal speaker on my 1st gen iPod touch has started to sound a bit funny. I noticed it does not make the 'click' noise any longer during unlocking or while tapping on the keyboard. "No big deal.", I thought. Later this became a problem: I use my iPod as my alarm (ever since my real alarm was stuck by lightning and destroyed). The internal speaker does a great job at waking me up in the morning. Not only that, but it's much more reliable than my cell phone! I went browsing through the 'settings' and see nothing that controls the internal mini speaker. I was sure that perhaps I had lowered the volume (?) Who knows... but somehow I think the speaker has just become on it's last leg.

My factory warranty has JUST run out about two weeks ago. I'm willing to purchase apple care if it's sure to cover this problem (if I can't fix it). Would apple care be the way to go?

So, to summarize this post:

-My speaker isn't loud. It USED to be. Now it's not.
    -I wish it were normal again.
    -Are there any volume settings that I cannot find?
    -Will apple care be helpful if this actually IS a problem?

Oh, and just because this may be important to mention - I take very good care of my ipod. I keep it in a leather pouch while not in use and keep it only in my gym bag. It is never dropped and it's in AWESOME shape. It doesn't even have any scratches on it and I've had it over a year. :cool: So, nothing stupid on my part.

Any help? Shine some light, somebody!

TIA.

-Marc

2. suburbiton macrumors member

You could get some cheap, passive speakers and keep them next to your bed - plug them in when you go to bed and you'll still have your alarm....

Can you purchase Apple Care retrospectively?

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Apple Care must be purchased during the initial one-year warranty, it cannot be applied to a product that is out of warranty.

4. buxtone17 macrumors regular

Yup. Unfortunately, if your 1-year warranty has expired, you can't purchase AppleCare.

This is why everyone should always purchase AppleCare at the same time as purchasing Apple gear or shortly thereafter.