Ipod Touch 1st Gen. Perfume leaked on it-small amount-screen seems stained

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Meagan.l.owen, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Meagan.l.owen macrumors newbie

This morning, i put my ipod in my purse, got to school about 20 minutes later, and when i took it out, it was visibally wet. i had a small sample perfume that must have leaked onto the ipod, and when i took it out, it was all inside the plastic stretchy case and the screen is now noticabilly dimmer in a streaky formation, with dots all over about 1/4 an inch in diameter that is darker than the streaks. everything seems to still be working, i don't think there is water damage because i checked the sensor in the phonejack and it is still completely white...

has this happened to anyone? if so, what should i do, what is damaged and how much do you think it would cost to get fixed?

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Ouch, that sucks. I wonder if the perfume got inside of the gap between the screen and the metal. As far as how much it'd cost, you don't have AppleCare, do you?

3. Meagan.l.owen thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i don't have AppleCare. And my warranty is definitely up because i got it the first day it came out... but that actually makes sense that it might have leaked through the seam. what would it have damaged though? just the screen?

4. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Depends on how saturated the Touch got and if the liquid managed to short out some stuff.

If it powers on and functions normally, then maybe the perfume just got between the glass and the screen. There is a glass panel on top pf the screen to protect it. Possibly you could disassemble the iPod and clean the screen and the glass, just an idea.

Disassembly Guide