iPod Touch 1st Gen Problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lgwells1, Nov 28, 2011.

1. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

My headphone jack was a little on the fritz. So I decided to open up the iPod and make sure that there was not a loose connection with the solder. Everything went fine until I went to put it back to gather. I broke a gold v shaped spring where the home button connector thing sits. So I soldered it back onto its other half. Put everything back together and the iPod thinks it has the Powerbutton on at all times. Soon as it boots(which I have to plug it in to boot it because the power button keeps rebooting it) the Slide to Power Off option pops up. I can hold down the home button and it will do a hard reset. Even with the back housing off, it thinks the power button be being held down.

Is there two gold v shaped springs or only suppose to be one? I just found another on my desk.

2. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

surely someone knows why my iPod touch thinks the power button is being pushed, even with the back housing off.

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I actually do . . .

It's telling you it's time to go ahead and take that plunge -- and get a new one.

4. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

no thanks soup! I just did a full restore though, and still no dice. iPod still thinks the power button is being pushed constantly.

5. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I just noticed that when I unplug the iPod, and you restart it. Then it will go into a reboot loop. I can get out of it by connecting it to a computer or power source.

6. David G. macrumors 65816

Probably because you messed it up and can only be fixed by someone who is monstrously good with repairing these, maybe not even at all, and any valid responses to your case would certainly come only after inspection of your particular unit. This would be cost prohibitive relative to getting a brand new one, the repair would be extremely close, if not more than a new one. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're going to need a new one.

And yes, I know what it feels like kind of. The only iPod of mine that I regularly use is my 1st gen 16GB iPod touch, and it also has its own problems, not as bad as yours, but things such as a big clump of stuck pixels, and a home button that reqires extra force to activate, plus a not so good battery life for things that require use of the screen(i.e. anything that's not music). It's gonna be hard letting it go when you think you could repair it, but I'd bet that your's is a lost cause.:( Time to search craigslist or store sales for a new one.

7. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

David, I think this unit is savable. I am not one to give up.

8. David G. macrumors 65816

I wish you good luck.:)

9. lgwells1, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I need it!

I guess I will tear it all apart and clean everything like no tomorrow.

10. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

I just cleaned everything with isopropyl. Still no dice.

11. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

12. lgwells1 thread starter macrumors regular

lgwells1

So I have to buy a rear panel? That is kinda gay. The mechanical part of the button works. The cable runs from the button to the back housing looks great! The iPod still registers the button as being pressed though. I have had this thing open so many times, that I can get the back housing off in just a couple of seconds.

13. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I'm guessing that is what you have to due, becuase people say it solved the problem