iPod touch 1st gen --Serious issue-- Please Read

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by venomgt95, Nov 4, 2014.

1. venomgt95 macrumors 6502

venomgt95

So recently ive been wanting to buy this first gen touch from a friend. (i collect iPods) Well, when she gave it to me (kinda a try it before you buy it thing) it was stuck on the "connect to iTunes" screen. seeing how im pretty good with iPods and such i saw this as no issue. i figured i could just plug it in and get to using it. Well, i had my friend try it on his iMac. Nothing. The computer NOR iTunes would detect the iPod. Tried Recovery mode. Still nothing. SO i took it to my moms where i could try to fix it myself. Still nothing. ive tried everything (Recovery Mode, DFU) nothing worked. Ive tried 4 different computers and none of them would detect the iPod. It would charge, but thats it. What could possibly be the problem???? :mad: I really want this iPod but not if its a dud. Please help. (and no i havent actually paid for it yet)

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I'd use tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery mode.

3. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

Clean the dock connector and use a known working cable.

4. venomgt95 thread starter macrumors 6502

venomgt95

its not the dock connector. the thing charges just fine, its just a computer wont detect it...

5. appledude633 macrumors newbie

Don't buy it

Last year I purchased an iPhone 2G 2nd hand from eBay and it was in recovery mode, any Mac/PC I connected it to would recognise it but it wouldn't restore. I opened up the iPhone to find a damaged logic board that looked as if it had water damage and parts on it had either broken or weren't there. I researched this problem online and found that many people had had this problem and were experiencing first generation iPhones to react very badly to even a tiny bit of contact with water. Since they basically had the same engineering and electronics inside them I just thought that this may be the problem. But also make sure you clean out the dock connector on the iPod with a toothpick or something as this can cause problems as well.

6. venomgt95 thread starter macrumors 6502

venomgt95

The ipod is ok, ive seen it work before. She just tried resetting it for me and messed it up. Im giving it back to her and imma tell her to try that tiny umbrella thingy

7. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I have one I could sell you! LOL (It actually works perfectly)

8. venomgt95 thread starter macrumors 6502

venomgt95

legit?

9. izoddy macrumors newbie

try holding both the power button and home button at the same time for about 10-20 seconds.

10. venomgt95 thread starter macrumors 6502

venomgt95

i said in the OP i tried everything. i Already gave it back and told her to try the tinyumbrella thing. and if it works, ill buy it when i can

11. BruiserB macrumors 65816

Let me just double check when I get home. I had a 1st and 2nd gen one and I sold one of them through Amazon a couple of years back. I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd gen one. I'll PM you later if it is indeed a first gen.

12. tippytab macrumors newbie

Hey, I just got an iPod 1 from eBay, worked when I got it but still had all the other person stuff on it, bought it for my 8 yr old, so I wanted to do a recovery. Went to do it, now I get an error saying there was a problem and I can't recover? I have tried probably a million times to do the power button and home button, connecting to iTunes, all that, but I get to the page it lets you do the recovery and nothing, I get the error message... I see something in this forum about tinyumbrella? What is that? And does anyone have any other ideas...please and thanks, my daughter would be very thankful as well!

13. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

I think I posted a thread on this a while ago and am still having the same problem as OP, even after tinyumbrella.