Ipod Touch 1st Generation VS 2nd Generation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by yohoo, Sep 13, 2008.

1. yohoo macrumors newbie

hello people out there,

so which do you think is better? the 1st generation ipod touch or the 2nd generation?

2. Dan Lorth macrumors member

3. maximus1315 macrumors newbie

OMG. The new iPod touch (2nd gen) is soooooo much better. I used to have the origional ( unfortunately it was stolen) so I just bought the new one. And I'm extremely happy with it. It feels much thinner, and the curved back makes it feel better in your hand than the straight backed first gen, and the external speaker is really a great feature, and very useful. I've already used it so often to show a video off of YouTube to a bunch of friends, where headphones would have required me to show the video a couple of times just to let everyone see. And I really do notice the longer battery life... It goes on a couple hours longer than the last one. There's really no bad points to this new gen iPod touch, just all the new improvements. All this plus the lower price, there's no doubt in my mind that the second generation iPod touch is better than the first generation.

4. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

obviously the 2nd gen cuz its the same thing as the 1st gen just added features and free 2.1 software. less cost and more space

but i dont really care tho cuz i got the ipod touch for free so its not really a gripe for me im happy with it. just want a external controller or sumtin so i can change songs and volume without taking the ipod out and then do it.

5. maximus1315 macrumors newbie

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Dumb question.

The 2nd gen is of course better, but whoever says WAYYYYYY better is saying that because they own one. It isn't way better. Nice little upgrade, but the speaker sucks (my buddy got one yesterday), volumn controls are tiny, and most people won't use Nike+. The battery life is better, but hell most people charge them each day so no big deal either.

Apple certainly should of done more IMO. I will wait to upgrade next time most likely. It would be stupid to upgrade now for those little things.

7. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

then, it will be next year around September. if you need one now, buy it. you don't have to wait for better upgrade because technology, electronics are always upgraded from time to time. there is no perfect time if you want more improvement.

8. emt1 macrumors 65816

Wow what a worthwhile thread. Obviously the 2nd gen is better are you freaking kidding me?

9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Which is better? Any store that has the new ones has already reduced the price of the old ones to something lower than MSRP of the new. The new one gets you external volume control, cheap speaker, Mic potential, and Nike connectivity. If you can figure out how much those features are worth to you (about $5 to me), and subtract that value from the new Touch price, any old touch that is below that result is a better value. You'll get a device with a huge array of compatible accessories/cases. Act quick, though, becuase the new one will catch up, becoming more valuable as cases, 3rd party headsets, and voice apps appear for it.

10. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I just bought a 32gb 1st gen sealed for $300. I honestly can't justify the upgrades as the speaker is mediocre.

11. demond1525 macrumors newbie

12. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I hate threads like this, asking the obvious.

13. peterhenley macrumors member

2G firmware

just bought an 8GB ipod Touch 2G, firmware is 2.1.1. My 1st gen iPod Touch was updated to 2.1 last week - doing a restore will not load the 2.1.1 - how come?:confused:

14. California King macrumors 65816

Maybe it's only for 2nd gen IPT.

15. angels lust macrumors member

9.99 times out of 10 it's better to get the latest version of anything.

16. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

That's true. I keep holding off on the touch since last year :p

17. Cassandra macrumors newbie

So, the plus of 2nd gen compare to the 1st gen are:
    +feels much thinner
    +has curved back
    +is cheaper
    +offers more free programs
    +longer battery life

The weaknesses
    -2nd gen has smaller volume control

Is there anything else?

18. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Smaller volume control? Huh?

1st gen doesnt have a hard volume control, 2nd gen is superior to 1st in every aspect. Why would they make a product where the original has more features etc

19. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

As much as I'd love to upgrade to a second gen, Ill probAbly upgrade to an iPhone 3g.

20. Cassandra macrumors newbie

Take for instance windows operating systems(sorry for using this example on a mac forum!), Vista has more features than Windows Xp, but who needs them?

21. therealdt macrumors regular

I bought 1g(16gb), for 2 reasons. One it was 20 bucks cheaper and they (smalldog) didn't have the 2g in stock. After reading and rereading this forum, I brought it back the same day and upgraded to a 2g. I mean 20 bucks difference for something new why not go for the newer model.

I can say the speakers is not that good, I doubt I'll use the nike (whatever it's called), I wear NB. The volume control is handy, though.

So from a newbie, I'll say go for the 2G.

22. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

You don't need Nike runners to use the Nike+ system.

23. therealdt macrumors regular

thanks. I didn't know that. I guess this means I need to get a gym membership....

24. greenythebeast macrumors regular

You can get a 2nd gen 32gb on ebay for less than $300 with microsoft cashback.

Like I did :)

25. Master Debater macrumors member

2nd gen doesn't charge with most iPod accessories. That's what's making me think twice about buying it.