iPod Touch 2.0 Battery Problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by catgo, Jul 19, 2008.

1. catgo macrumors member

Hello, just wanted to ask you guys for your help. just bought a new touch with 1.14 installed. I immediately upgraded to 2.0, now I think my ipod is draining the battery while off. I usually use it for 30 min - 1 hr and turn it off for 4 -5 hours and use it again, usually 2 - 3 times per day. Each time I turn it on i notice the battery is alot lower than what it was when i turned it off. However after 1-2 min the battery starts to increase again.

Today when i turned it off it said 10% battery remaining and the battery icon was red, 2 min later battery was back up to about 35% and a green icon. Is this normal? Should I do a restore? Any help would be appreciated. I already turned off the fetch and have brightness at around 30% as well as wifi off....Thanks in advance.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What applications are you running? Some of them (i.e., Pandora) will drain the battery even when you think it's not running.

In general, the 2.0 software will drain the battery more quickly because it's looking for pushed e-mails, etc.

3. longwood macrumors regular

i've definitely noticed decreased battery life after upgrading to 2.0.

4. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I've noticed a battery drain as well though I've expected this with it looking for mail all the time and running games. Still I don't see the kind of drain you are talking about.

5. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

are you putting it to sleep or are you sliding the red bar? I have 2.0 installed and my battery is great

6. catgo thread starter macrumors member

If i will not use it for 2 hrs or more, i usually turn it off, (slide the red bar), if not i just put it to sleep.

Currently I have installed the facebook, weatherbug and remote apps.

Everytime i turn off the ipod (slide the red bar), when i turn it back on, battery is way low, but it grdually starts to increase, and after about 2 min its almost back to where it was when i turned it off.

7. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Here's a quick tip...
    Whenever you sleep it, just make sure you go back to the home screen and then lock it.

I also almost never completely shut down my touch--I just let it sleep. I have found that restarting actually uses more battery than sleeping for a few hours.

If these tips do not help, you could always turn off push and turn off Auto-Check for emails. You may also want to lower the backlight--I can never tell the difference between 2/3 brightness and full brightness.

8. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your tips. I already have push turned off and have brightness at around 35%, I'll definetely try putting it to sleep instead of turning t completely off when not in use. However do any of you guys have experienced having the battery much lower when you turn on the ipod after tuning it off overnight? As i said before, the weird part is that it gradually starts to increase to previous level after 1-2 min. of use. Thanks for your tips.

9. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Make sure you return to home screen after using an app. Leaving it open & sleeping will make it appear the battery drains faster, but as soon as you quit it, the battery re-evaluates its remaining life & adjusts accordingly. This explains your increasing battery.

Also, I dock into my iPod Speakers & turn my iPod Touch off (Slide red bar) at ~9pm each night, and let it charge overnight, turning it back on at ~7am each morning, with a fully charged battery (It charges while off, IF YOU DOCK IT FIRST!), but during the day I only sleep it. I have WiFi always on, brightness at minimum up to 1/3 (I am sensitive to light), push off, fetch every hour, (Be aware it also fetches automatically after you wake it too [if WiFi is on of course]) and I USED to get ~22 hours of music with 1.1.4, but now I only get about ~16 hours with 2.0, so I hope Apple fixes this bug.

Anyway, hope you solve this weird issue (I get it occasionally too, so don't be alarmed by it) and make it not happen so often.

SuperMacMan

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't think it's a "bug." The touch is now apparently staying in a wakeful state in order to retrieve pushed items. Sleep is not what it used to be, and probably can't be again, if we want push. Still, I don't see the point of docking the touch and turning it off, since it charges either way. Even with the reduction in battery life, I never turn mine off.

Also, I would not count on applications quitting whenever you go back to the home screen. That's up to the application. Many continue running.

11. catgo thread starter macrumors member

It's good to know that im not the only one with these issues, from now on ill keep my ipod on sleep throughout the day. I guess we'll just have to wait for apple to release 2.1.....thanks guys.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm having a similar problem and I read that you should turn off Location Services (Settings > General). I'll let you know whether it works for me (I only read about it a couple of hours ago).

13. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

Just a side question what is the point of the weatherbug app. Why don't you use the current iPod touch factory weather application.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Weatherbug provides far more information, including RH, DP, wind, watches, radar and weathercams. Unfortunately, some of it is wrong (the wind seems to be 180 degrees off).

15. darkmeton macrumors member

actually when you turn it off and then again on it drains more power for it to boot. So just put it to sleep. As for the wrong battery indications, this was from 1.1.4. I think it's because it doesn't get correct readings at first, or maybe it delays to get correct readings. This happens with mobile phones as well. It has something to do with the battery, not an 2.0 problem.
    But still the battery drains a lot faster... I'm seriously thinking of going back to 1.1.5 since none of the free apps is good...

16. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I've gotten into the habit of turning off wifi on my IPT (even before 2.0). I find that that saves a lot of battery. When I want to do something that requires wifi, I will enable it then.

And, I rarely turn off the device. I just go to home and let it sleep.

EVP

17. Mazda 3s macrumors 6502

Mazda 3s

I've found that my iPod touch is getting about half the battery life as before with the 2.0 upgrade. I have fetch set to 30 minutes and it still is draining.

I have the same usage patterns as before the with the 1.1.4 firmware, so this is VERY disappointing.

18. catgo thread starter macrumors member

I took your advice on turning off location services and this appears to have made a big impact on battery life. I no longer notice the increasing battery problem when i turn on the device. I am now turning it on in the morning and putting it to sleep throught the day when not in use and later i turn it back off at around 8 pm. I'll see how this works.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, I've turned off Location Services and left it overnight, and it's all back to normal now :D

20. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

A HUGE saver of battery-life for me is adjusting your brightness down to about 25%. It's still very bright, and the difference is totally unnoticeable after about two minutes of use. This saves SO much battery life for me.

21. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

What is Location Services?

22. basaltfd macrumors regular

basaltfd

red bar on i touch

newbie here:eek:
    where is this red bar u slide?8gb itouch here
    thanks a million
    ron_cathers@hotmail.com

23. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

shutdown is not a good idea. why? it is required to restart. it eats more battery because CPU need full power to reboot just like mac or PC. so when you don't use it, just put it into sleep mode.

24. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Hold down the top button, until it appears.

25. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I have always noticed that the iPod needs a minute or two to recalculate the battery capacity when it is turned on, even with 1.1.4 and before. I have also noticed that the battery diminishes a lot quicker when using some of the apps (Super Monkey Ball, Platinum Solitaire, and other ones that require the screen to remain on for a while and such). I would not be terribly worried about it though. The one thing that I would make sure that you do is make sure you do not leave an app running and put the iPod to sleep, as with some of the apps (Monkey Ball in particular) will remain to run even when the screen is off sucking up your battery's power.