ipod touch 2.2.1 warranty claimed. 3.0 or 3.1 now?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zsikand, Sep 18, 2009.

1. zsikand macrumors newbie

I just got my 2g ipod touch back on warranty claim but the software installed on it is 2.2.1. When i plug it in itunes tells me to update to 3.1 for free. I've heard that 3.0 had to be purchased and then 3.1 is free. Should i install 3.1 directly? Why should i have to pay again for the 3.0? i had installed 3.0 on the ipod touch that i sent back.

PS: this is the second ipod touch i got from the same claim. i tried this whole thing the first time round and it totally messed it up and i had to send it back. the guy kept on asking me if i tried to jailbreak it and i obviously kept on saying no! Pretty irritating actually.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Going straight to 3.1 will not be a problem. All iPod software updates include the prior revisions. You do not have to get 3.0 before getting 3.1. If iTunes is telling you that you'll get 3.1 for free, it already recognized that you paid for 3.0 at some point. If you didn't restore your repaired iPod from the backup of the previous iPod touch, do an upgrade. If you did restore from backup you will probably encounter fewer, if any, issues by doing a clean restore and then re-syncing your content back over.