Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I am looking to pick up a touch for my kids so they won't be on my wife and my iPhone 5s.

I am looking locally on Craigslist.

Need opinions on a 2 gen 8 gb touch. Is it too out of date, if so what gen would you suggest?

Kiddos are 5 and 3!

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I wouldn't get anything less than a 3rd Gen iPod touch. I have a 2nd Gen, and trust me, it is so way out of date it can really only play music, videos and photos. Any apps and/or Internet functions (including safari) will either not work or be unbearably slow.

Just remember, there is no 3rd Gen 8gb, it's just a 2nd Gen 8gb, regardless of what they might say. There is only a 32gb and 64gb 3rd Gen.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Just saw they are 3/5. If you only want them to have it for music, get the 2nd gen. But if they want to play stuff like Angry Birds or Cut The Rope (good games for young folks IMO), then 3rd or newer is a must.

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
I wouldn't recommend getting a 2nd gen. I have one, and it's unbearably slow. Even the music application takes forever to load and sometimes hangs when you're trying to switch between category screens (Album, Artist, Song, etc.). iTunes and the App Store are borderline unusable, they've gotten so slow. In addition, you'll be stuck back at iOS 4.2. I know this is just for your kids, but even the games that will run on 4.2 like Tiny Wings or Cut the Rope take a long time to load. Do them a favor and get the 3rd generation, if only because it will last a little longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.