Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Contrary to popular belief

the black iPod touch DO NOT come with iOS5, it comes with iOS 4.3.5

the white iPod touch do come with iOS5.

Just thought I will share that for those who are prospective ipod touch buyers.

**I have the black one and I am in the process of trying to upgrade to iOS5.

mattburles

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Contrary to popular belief

the black iPod touch DO NOT come with iOS5, it comes with iOS 4.3.5

the white iPod touch do come with iOS5.

Just thought I will share that for those who are prospective ipod touch buyers.

**I have the black one and I am in the process of trying to upgrade to iOS5.

where did you get the black one from?

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
Yup, ordered a black iPod touch on the 5th (Australia) and it wasn't shipped until the 12th but it didn't have ios5 installed.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Most likely you just got one of the old black iPod touches, since the white one never shipped when iOS 4 was out, there isn't an older one with iOS 4 on it.

There's really not difference between the black touch with iOS 4 or iOS 5, so it makes sense for Apple to clear out the iOS 4 devices first.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Most likely you just got one of the old black iPod touches, since the white one never shipped when iOS 4 was out, there isn't an older one with iOS 4 on it.

There's really not difference between the black touch with iOS 4 or iOS 5, so it makes sense for Apple to clear out the iOS 4 devices first.

Yep that should be the reason, and it still contains the limerain exploit that Apple supposedly fixes in the new and white ones so I'm not bothered by that.

Sparkko

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
In a box

If you bought it from apple.com after Oct. 4th it should have.
If you bought it from any other retail store it won't because they are still trying to get rid of old stock.

LiloThePleo

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2010
If you bought it from apple.com after Oct. 4th it should have.
If you bought it from any other retail store it won't because they are still trying to get rid of old stock.

Still not correct, mine was ordered from apple.com and as I said above it did not come with ios5. Not that it was any big deal upgrading it myself but they made me wait a week for nothing :p

Jordz95

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
London, United Kingdom

Well here's my advice, don't just pre-order a brand new iPod Touch 4G if you want to get iOS 5 because it's still the same old hardware from last year that you could just get really cheap anyway.

Plus I thought Apple has already released iOS 5 for the iPhone, 4, iPad and iPod Touch this week...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.