Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will Apple do with the iPod touch line this year?

• Discontinue it.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • Nothing.

Votes: 55 62.5%
  • Update it with an A9 processor and/or a bigger screen and/or other capabilities!

Votes: 17 19.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I would really like a refresh but give it the bigger screen and Touch ID. I use my iPod touch 6 daily working out and around the house. Plus a better battery.

nerven

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2016
Today is the 15yr anniversary of the iPod. Great week to release the new iPod Touch Pro!

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Why they hell haven't Apple woken up and exploited the ease of handling of the iPod Touch as a gaming device? it just needs a bigger screen version! Put a 5.5" ipod next to a PSP. Huge difference in size/pocketability. And battery life. Do the lack of physical controls make much difference to casual gamers? Probably not for most. The PSP can't do half of the useful things the iPod can: read books, view magazines, write notes, keep contacts etc.

a 4" ipod is too small - except for little kids. We have friends who use old 4" iPhones for their kid's entertainment. If they break, they break. Let's face it, after two years most phones are disposable (or treated that way).

I carry a larger screen Android when on holidays. I can expand the memory, swap micro SDs with content and use it without chewing up battery that my iPhone does as it connects to any 3G/4G service.

The iPod will never be the mainstream product it was BUT there is a niche for it. Trim the colour and memory options to reduce stock loads.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Why they hell haven't Apple woken up and exploited the ease of handling of the iPod Touch as a gaming device? it just needs a bigger screen version! Put a 5.5" ipod next to a PSP. Huge difference in size/pocketability. And battery life. Do the lack of physical controls make much difference to casual gamers? Probably not for most. The PSP can't do half of the useful things the iPod can: read books, view magazines, write notes, keep contacts etc.

a 4" ipod is too small - except for little kids. We have friends who use old 4" iPhones for their kid's entertainment. If they break, they break. Let's face it, after two years most phones are disposable (or treated that way).
Unfortunately for casual gamers, not having physical controls probably also goes hand-in-hand with having that same, dinky, 4" screen. :( I do think the IpT line is relegated for kids and devs who don't want to spend more money on Iph.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
I personally love the iPod Touch, but I really don't think Apple is going to do anything else with it. It was a great device but everyone has not jumped to the iPhone and the iPhone has become more affordable which has been nice. Well, thanks to the carriers.

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I personally love the iPod Touch, but I really don't think Apple is going to do anything else with it. It was a great device but everyone has not jumped to the iPhone and the iPhone has become more affordable which has been nice. Well, thanks to the carriers.

I'm afraid I have to agree with you. I have both a 5G and a 6G Touch and no iPhone. But I believe that the release of the iPhone 8 next year will be when i throw in the towel on the iPods. You are right about the carriers - the new Verizon data plans with an iPhone purchased from Apple actually make sense and are close to being reasonable. A far cry from he highway robbery they used to get away with.

Reactions: xaqt93
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.