iPod Touch 2G - A few impressions from me

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, Sep 14, 2008.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Today I picked up a 32GB 2G Touch from Target, since my local Apple Store didn't have any :confused:. After exchanging it 2 hours later because the chrome was scratched (manufacturing defect), I finally got to use the new Touch and here are a few thoughts.

Software - I don't know if its the new software or hardware, but the 2G is definently snappier than the old one. Things just move quicker. And maybe I'm crazy, but the screen seems even nicer.

New Design - Although it's a matter of personal taste, the new look of the iPod is amazing. It does feel thinner in your hand, and the curved back not only looks great, but feels great. Also, the chrome border on the front makes the iPod look nicer than the black metal on the old one, but again, that's just an opinion. It's definently a very slick product.

Volume Buttons - I read in a few places that the volume buttons are hard to press. I disagree. Pressing them is exactly the same as pressing the Sleep/Wake button.

Speaker - If you are an audiophile, and need great bass and all the other effects in every speaker, then you might be dissapointed. I personally thought the speaker was good enough. I had no problem hearing it, and I think it gives an accurate representation of what the song sounds like. Your not getting top notch quality, but it does its intended purpose very well.

So overall, I like the new Touch better than the original. I think some people expected too much from the new features, and were therefore dissapointed. But I disagree with a lot of the complainers, and I think the new Touch is a worthy purchase.

EDIT: If anyone has any questions about the new Touch, I'd be happy to answer them.

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

thanks for the review! I just bought a sealed first gen 32gb for 300, the upgrades weren't worth it for me. I may upgrade eventually though.

3. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

no matter who complain, new touch is way better than first gen. anyway. when 3 gen. nano came out, many people hated it because it was fatty body, looked weird. but they loved it as time went by. now, people even love 4th gen. nano more. so I anticipate new product every year from Apple. it make me so excited.

4. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea I agree, Apple every year makes you want the new one, and it's exciting to look ahead. Apple has this uncanny ability to release a product that looks so incredibly futuristic and "cool", then the next year puts out a version that makes the previous years version look ancient. When you put the original iPhone and the 3G side to side, so that you can see the backing of each, the 3G makes the original look so outdated.

5. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Do you still have your 1g? Can you post pics of the 1g next to the 2g? especially a side profile shot? I'd like to see the differences between the two with them side by side..

6. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Do you use any sort of screen protection? Or just the glass like it is out of the box?

7. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I think the snappiness is from the 2.1.1 firmware.

At first, I hated apple for using the "tapered back" design. Then, I got the iPod. My god, it's gorgeous. I'm afraid to touch the back of my iPod lest it get scratched.

Volume Buttons - I think they're placed about right, provided the touch is being held in portrait mode.

Speaker - Is fine for X-Plane :D.

If you've seen those pics of the two together, you'll see the notable yellowness of the Touch 2G's screen. Otherwise, they have the same screen and physical dimensions.

This time around, it's definitely the chrome backing that makes it futuristic :D.

8. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I sold my 1G. I attached a photo below from iLounge of the front comparison, do some searching around Flickr though I believe they have an addition photo with a side profile comparison.

I don't have any film on it now, but I have one coming in the mail in a few days. I'm a freak when it comes to keeping my gadgets nice, so I'll have a film on the front and back. You could however probably get away with not having one on the front if you're careful.

Attached Files:

• 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
  9. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I got the 1 gen and 2.1 makes it snappier. That is the reason you say it is snappier. Great review, but we need to be fair. My buddy got a gen 2 and we compared it. Both are equally snappy.

I decided not to upgrade to gen 2. Not worth it IMO especially after I played with my friends. Nice device and if I didn't already have one I would buy it. I just think it is foolish to buy one since I already have a gen 1. Hopefully Apple will make some better changes next year. Until then no upgrade(not much of one IMO) for me.

10. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I stand corrected. I didn't get 2.1 on my old iPod so I didn't know. Good to know everyone has a faster iPod.

Yeah it's not worth it if you already had the old one, unless you could sell it like i did. I was able to get $300 for my 16GB, so I chose to upgrade. I think last year was the big upgrade, probably not going to see anything groundbreaking for a couple more years.

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'm glad you hear you like it!
    I am planning on getting one very, very shortly.

Hope they come out with cases soon!
    I called my local Apple Store today too see how many of the 2G iPod Touches they had and I also asked if they had any cases.
    They said that they only had 1G cases but are planning on getting shipments of 2G case within the next few days.

12. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Any word on Griffin iClear cases coming to the 2G Touch soon?

I'm going to wait on my purchase until I know there's a case like it out there for ultimate protection!

13. slashcrashcup macrumors newbie

New to Ipod Touch

Getting mine in the mail tomorrow. Very excited. First Ipod Product.

My Questions:

1.) Is the app store new to the touch? Were new apps only installed by jailbreaking the 1G touch?

2.) Can the 1G take advantage of the apps by updating to firmware 2.1?

Just checking as I do not know about the previous history of the Touch.

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

The 1G DO have apps.
    Not right when it came out though, I think it did once it came out with software 2.0

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

1st gen ipod touches can get any of the apps that the current one can. Apps have been available for a while now.

Here is the difference between the 2. Gen 2 has Nike+(big deal for most people), an internal speaker, outside volumn controls, a little better battery life and a slightly different back(curved more). That is it. The power is the same and so is all the apps that can be put on it.

16. youashwag macrumors regular

do you know if you can still use the apple ipod hifi or the ihome to either charge or play the new ipod touch?

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Most likely, yes.
    You might want to test that out before you buy either one though.
    The 2G iPod touch still has a 30 pin dock connector so I'm assuming it will work with no problems.