iPod Touch 2G appears as iPhone in iTunes; won't turn on/restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Corey Grandy, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Corey Grandy macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I have been an iPhone user for over a year now and, consequently, haven't used my 2G iPod Touch regularly in a long time. I have used it on and off lately though and it has worked perfectly fine up until today.

I turned on my computer today and was met with the following message:

[​IMG]

I was initially very worried, as my iPhone was also docked. I went into iTunes and saw that my iPhone was there and was perfect, but another device known only as "iPhone" was also listed:

[​IMG]

Being that the Touch was the only other device plugged into the computer, I determined that it had to be the problem. I tried to unplug and disconnect the iPod, but found that it would no longer power on at all (either that or the screen is dead and the iPod is on).

I plugged it back in and tried to restore it as iTunes had advised. I then received this message:

[​IMG]

At that point, I sought out the firmware myself and downloaded it. I downloaded the iPod 4.0 firmware as well as the iPhone 4.0 firmware, neither worked. Both times when trying to restore directly from those files I got this:

[​IMG]

Just wondering if anybody has seen or experienced this.

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

3. Corey Grandy thread starter macrumors 6502

Not the issue. I have done that. With or without the actual iPhone plugged in, no dice.