Ipod touch 2g battery life issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Adamt600, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Adamt600 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    I bought my ipod touch 2nd gen about 10 months ago and i tryed experementing its battery life on several modes starting from a fully charged battery!
    Test 1 :eek:n a game mode with nothing on ( wifi , location services... Etc) and using a pretty heavy game ( need for speed shift) it only lasted 2hours and a few minutes!!! Which is ridicoulesly short!!
    Test 2 : this time only the music was on and it lasted an amazing full day when i decided to stop it!
    Test 3 : i created a video which consisted of the quantom of solace movie in loop. This video had a whoping 22hour length and took up 5.6gb!! Anyway my ipod lasted just 5hours!!
    At last test 4: using wifi and playing the 'home' movie in loop from youtube, it lasted about 3hours!!

All these tests show how awful the ipod touch 2g battery is , even with these of:
    -location services
    -wifi ( in some tests)
    -auto light regulator
    -push
    -brightness on middle
    -all the rest..
    So please tell me its the same on yours?
    By the way is the new ipods battery better?
    And also my ipod fell from 6 feet bearing a soft protection and had a small dent a half-millimeter displaced screen; will that affect?

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Battery has never been a strong point for the Touch\iPhone but most of those times appear about right for a 10 month old unit. Apple quotes 30hrs\7 hours for music\video but it would depend on variables like bitrate, codec, audio settings etc. NFSS is a very graphic intense resource hungry 3D game and I would not expect much more than around 2 hours continuous play on an idevice, the same with 3hrs high data wifi usage.

3. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

there is only so much battery they can fit in such a thin sleek device. that said, i think that while tech has been improving, battery tech hasn't changed much, if at all. this is why the touch only lasts for 3 hrs on wifi. at least the backlight is LED so u save a little power there.