Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMC2k1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I am going to get an iPod touch for Christmas this year to replace my old 4G 30GB iPod Photo. When I got this iPod years ago I also picked up the dock for it. It is NOT the universal dock with the IR receiver and whatnot. Will the iPod touch fit in this dock with the supplied adapter or am I going to have to buy the newer universal dock?

Thanks guys!

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
I believe I read that the newer touch won't work with the older Apple dock (even the first version of the universal dock) so I doubt it.

TMC2k1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Damn, that sucks. The apple docks are so damn expensive at $50. I wish my photo dock would work. :(

Gadgetman911

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Docking Stations

I have had these issues with my 2G Touch 16Gig.
I have placed it into several docks and NONE of them will broadcast the sound through the speakers of the docking station. I put in a friends iPod Nano and the speaker systems worked so I'm thinking it is something to do with the Touch itself.
Also, when I picked up my Touch from BestBuy I tried to get a FM modulator for it and out of the three we tried none of them worked with the Touch even though they said so on the box. Since I have not owned a pre 2.2 software iPod I don't know if it is the update or just the device.
Thought I'd pass this on.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I have a 2G iPod Touch that replaced my 40GB iPod Photo and the dock works fine for me (plugged into a USB port, I'm not sure about firewire). The power adapter is a different story. The power adapter that came with my iPod Photo is one that has the firewire port on it and it is not supported with the new touch.

As for passing sound through the dock to an external source, I'm not sure. I haven't tried it.

TMC2k1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I have a 2G iPod Touch that replaced my 40GB iPod Photo and the dock works fine for me (plugged into a USB port, I'm not sure about firewire). The power adapter is a different story. The power adapter that came with my iPod Photo is one that has the firewire port on it and it is not supported with the new touch.

As for passing sound through the dock to an external source, I'm not sure. I haven't tried it.

Would you mind trying to see if it can pass sound through to an external source? The main reason I want a dock is for when I'm using it in the car which will be about 90% of usage. Its a lot easier to have the dock in the car and have it hooked up to my stereo via line out port and charged from the port on the dock to the car charger. This way I can just pull out the iPod and bring it with me instead of having to disconnect all the wires and reconnect when I put it back.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
I believe I read that the newer touch won't work with the older Apple dock (even the first version of the universal dock) so I doubt it.

Assuming that by first generation universal dock you mean the one with the black circle in the center, it definitely works. I am currently using it with my 2nd gen iPod touch.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
My 40GB iPod Photo came with a dock and AV cables. I hooked them up to my TV and put my 2G iPod Touch in the dock and couldn't get any sound or video to pass through to my TV. I replaced the touch with the 40GB Photo and it worked no problem.

Next, I tried to hook it up to my stereo system via a standard 1/8" Stereo Jack to RCA cable plugged in the Dock Line Out and my Aux In on the receiver. Same story. Touch doesn't work, iPod Photo works.

TMC2k1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
My 40GB iPod Photo came with a dock and AV cables. I hooked them up to my TV and put my 2G iPod Touch in the dock and couldn't get any sound or video to pass through to my TV. I replaced the touch with the 40GB Photo and it worked no problem.

Next, I tried to hook it up to my stereo system via a standard 1/8" Stereo Jack to RCA cable plugged in the Dock Line Out and my Aux In on the receiver. Same story. Touch doesn't work, iPod Photo works.

Dammit! That is very disappointing that the line out wont work. :mad: There goes another $50

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
It is pretty frustrating for sure.

I didn't realize that my old charger wouldn't work when I bought the Touch, so I already had to pony up for a new charger.

I've been looking around at this a little more and it seems like the dock should be ok, but the cable may be the culprit.

This cable works with the 2nd Gen iPod Touch:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MjE0NTAzOA

But this one (the one I have) doesn't:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9765G/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MjE0NTA1MA

TMC2k1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
It is pretty frustrating for sure.

I didn't realize that my old charger wouldn't work when I bought the Touch, so I already had to pony up for a new charger.

I've been looking around at this a little more and it seems like the dock should be ok, but the cable may be the culprit.

This cable works with the 2nd Gen iPod Touch:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB129LL/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MjE0NTAzOA

But this one (the one I have) doesn't:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9765G/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MjE0NTA1MA

I don't mind not being able to output video whatsoever. My main issue is not being able to use the line out on the dock for my in car stereo use. That really sucks :(

TMC2k1

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
The dock actually DOES work and provides line out AS LONG as it is connected via a car charger! I found out with a buddy of mines 2G iPod Touch.

xbpr, can you tell me if the dock adapter fits in our old docks or does it only fit in the universal docks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.