iPod Touch 2G Glass Repair SNAFU

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tom.davidson, Apr 27, 2010.

1. tom.davidson macrumors newbie

I recently went to replace the digitizer and the LCD on a customer's iPod Touch 2G (8GB). I do these repairs all the time without a hitch. Everything was going just fine; I had removed the digitizer and was preparing to take out the LCD, but I had to go to the bathroom... So, foolishly, I assumed that the iPod would be fine on my workshop table for 2 minutes while I was gone. As I came back into the room, I was horrified to find my 5 year old son standing there, holding the iPod... I was infinitely more horrified, however, to find that he had turned it on! I inspected the device and it doesn't seem that he touched any internal components, as the device did boot up properly, and it is showing the lock screen on the display.

My problem is that with the digitizer already removed, I have no idea how to turn the device off! I thought at first that I would just let it sit in a safe place to die, but after 5 days the device is still fully charged!

If anyone out there has ANY idea how to turn it off (short of removing the battery, as the iTouch 2G seems to require soldering), it would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Can't you attach the digitizer while the product is on? I guess you could try using apple headphones with a clicker on them, play music full voulme through the headphones.

3. tom.davidson thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure if that's safe or not... to the best of my understanding the internal components on iPod Touch/iPhone are not hot-swappable. But then again, it's never come up before. I might try it if someone out there can confirm that it's safe...