iPod Touch 2g GPS Built-in

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JamesDean, Aug 7, 2009.

1. JamesDean macrumors newbie

Go easy on me because it's my first post.

I mapped out a route on the Maps app on my ipod touch 2g and was driving. Very funny thing happened. A blue dot appeared along the path and followed me as I was driving along the route. I know that it followed me because I went on a wrong road and the blue dot followed me on the Maps app to the wrong road.

Now, I am absolutely sure there was no wifi connection (it was a 12 mile route and I do not have wifi in my car and was driving next to rural areas). Considering that my ipod touch 2g had absolutely no connection to a data source, isn't the only possible explanation for the blue dot trailing me around the Maps route that there is a GPS in the ipod touch? I'm pretty sure the accelerometer is not good enough to track my exact location as I'm moving along.

Thoughts? Anybody have similar or dissimilar experiences?:eek:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

My 2G always says "Unable to determine location."

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

It uses broadcasted wifi signals in the area. Trust me I thought the same thing, it won't connect though since most of them are secured it just reads them. I made a thread on this ill find the link.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=728732

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i'm sorry man but u r not crazy!, lol the ipod touch must have connected automatically to a wifi hotspot,