Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keithyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
A few months ago my daughter’s ipod touch 2g suffered a cracked screen (it fell out of my pocket whilst doing the Posnan at Manchester city’s FA cup celebration event).

Having read the various guides and watched videos on youtube I decided that fixing it was within my abilities (I take cars apart for fun and laptops by necessity because my kids’ main hobby is breaking the things so consider myself fairly handy). I bought a digitizer and set to.

When I took it apart, I found that the frame was also broken but, as I didn’t have one, I put it back together as best I could for the time being. The new touch screen worked absolutely perfectly but the home button went limp and ceased to function as though a spring behind it had broken or something. Rather than being flush with the screen it was recessed 1-2mm. I assumed that this was to do with the broken frame so I ordered a new one. I came to fit it last night and it went well initially. However, there are new problems:

1. The home button is just as limp as before but worked briefly if you pressed it really hard.
2. When connected to the PC, itunes told me that the ipod was in recovery mode and needed to be restored. I hit the restore button and it went through the process of restoring. However, it now seems to be stuck in a loop where it won’t turn on and, when you hook it up to the PC, it wants to go through the restore process again because it still appears to be in recovery mode.

Issue 1 is, to some extent, academic as I’m going to be get a complete new digitizer and frame unit and fit it. However, for my interest, should there be a spring of some sort between the button itself and the frame to give the button some bounce? I don’t recall anything pinging out when I first took it apart and I can’t find anything on the internet which shows what gives the button some spring (the little gold springs are intact but they don’t contact the button itself).

For issue 2, could it be connected to the issue with the home button in some way? It seems like a big coincidence for it to have happened within 20 minutes of me taking it apart. In other words, will it go away if I fit a new digitizer and frame or do I need something else? There are lots of solutions involving pressing the home and power buttons at the same time but I can’t do this because of the issue with the home button.

Grateful for any suggestions.

iQuickFix

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Bay Area, California
The way to enter recovery mode is to turn the device on while holding down the home button. With the other information, I'm under the impression the button is stuck in the "pressed" position which would cause the symptoms you're seeing. If you purchase an entire assembly to replace it with, you will most likely eliminate these problems. I wish you the best and keep us updated on your progress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.