Ipod touch 2G/iphone 3G and ipod touch 1G/iphone 1G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dytoonn, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Dytoonn macrumors newbie

Here's my problem: One year ago, the Ipod touch and the Iphone were both affordable. Sure, the Iphone costs a 100$ more, but you got yourself a great cellphone for it.

Nowadays, the Ipod touch is 229$. Great price, of course. But the Iphone 3G became so much more expensive! Sure, first you pay 199$, but monthly you need to pay a 30$ fee (or something like that) during 2 years! So the actual price will be more like a 1000$. Way to much for a student like me, who doesn't even need that AT&T contract.

So it became nearly impossible to buy a 'cheaper' Iphone 3G for a foreigner, because without a contract, the Iphone 3G costs about 599$. What also is way to expensive.

The only option left, nowadays, is to buy a Ipod touch 2G I guess? Buying the old Iphone in a store became impossible, and maybe that's just a stupid idea since it already is a bit 'old-fashioned.?'

2. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Can you live without the phone? The Touch IS the iPhone, minus a few things. It sounds like you'd be best off with the Touch and a 'normal' phone.

3. Dytoonn thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I know, but it would be cool if for just about 100$ more I'd have an Iphone. It used to be possible, but now it's impossible... That's what I think stupid.;)

But anyway, I can make my peace with an Ipod Touch.:apple:

4. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20)

You can buy an iPhone 3G unlocked from Hong Kong for $600 or so, or you can buy one and cancel the contract for a little over $400 ($200 for the phone + $175 early termination fee + $60 for the first month)

5. Dytoonn thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Anyway, I'm from Europe, and I'm going to the USA for 1 week. I think it's pretty hard to sign a contract and than cancel it again for me in 1 week...

6. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Europe? Can you go to an O2 store? They have the iPhone prepaid (no contract) for £399.99, and that comes with one year of free data service!

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paygo

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Please understand that this is not against the OP only but many of you students bring the "student" thing up all the time to show us that being a "student" you have little to no funds. And if this is the case then you don't NEED an iPhone or an iPod Touch. They are both luxury items. Neither are required for you to get through school.
    If you want the forum to help you sort through price concerns then please leave out the poor student title, it gets tired, everybody has bills and many of us don't have disposable income but still want Apple's great products.

8. Dytoonn thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course it's a luxury item, but I need an mp3 player. A decent one. And the price of the 8gb nano here in Europe is almost the same as the 8gb touch in the USA. If you want to buy a decent mp3 player with enough memory, you'll pay about 150€ either way. Why not paying 50€ more to get something really cool?
    But actually I was only wondering why an Iphone became so much more expensive than the ipod touch. The prices used to be more the same with the old versions... If I buy a cellphone separately, it will also cost me about 100€. If you count up all the expenses, you'll probably get the the price of an old iphone... That would be perfect for me, but now it's impossible.

And btw: I live in Belgium, and it's forbidden here to sell a phone together with a contract. So the iphone here costs more than 600€! (which is ridiculously)
    :)