ipod touch 2g jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by porsche16, Nov 6, 2008.

1. porsche16 macrumors newbie

i see that there are allot of fake videos on youtube about jailbreaking the new ipod touch 2nd generation but i found this video that came out on monday saying that its true. i dont want to screw up my ipod if its fake or something. does anyone have further information?

2. asskick3r macrumors regular

asskick3r

Agreed. I want to see the said video.

3. porsche16 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Blunk macrumors member

5. Blunk macrumors member

wel.. it recognize the iPod 2G... Buttt does not recognize the firmware file....
    did anyone else made it work?

6. linden macrumors regular

linden

Ill give it a go..Give me a 10 min's.

Update: Nope, wont acept ipsw.

7. Blunk macrumors member

So... FAKE?

Lets keep waiting for iPhone Dev. It is a important process to get GID keys, through software or hardware.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

thats a fake 2g jailbreak you can see in the screenshot its firmware 2.1 for the 1st gen ipod touch, the 2g firmware is 2.1.1 and as of right now there is NO jailbreak quickpwn will NOT work on the 2g iPod touch.

quickpwn takes advantage of a hardware exploit thats in the 1st gen ipod which was addressed in the 2g ipod so quickpwn will definately not work

9. JR47 macrumors newbie

10. fasequeira macrumors newbie

Well, if we take a minute to look at the comments, they were almost all made about a week ago, and all positive. Near the end there are a few people questioning.

Logic would dictate that if 50+ people had really successfully jailbroken their ipod touch 2g, one of them would have posted again themselves on how to do it. Either that or post a 'show-off' video of their jailbroken touch.

For this to be true, the guy would have to have some NDA or something. Since he is offering the files for download, that is unlikely.

Also, if it were that easy to do, one of the dev teams would have downloaded the files, dissected them, and found the exploit. In which case, they would have released their own "legit" version.

All the videos out so far are red herrings to rickroll you, get you to install infected files on your computer, or to pi$$ you off.

That's my take anyways.

11. JR47 macrumors newbie

What about the pictures in the descritption

12. fasequeira macrumors newbie

Check the date on the 3rd picture and compare to the ipod's clock.

I can't see the volume buttons in the picture, but maybe it's my monitor.

There have already been a few fakes using the ipod 1G or someone with a dev pack using pictures or creating lookalike programs.

There have also been a few bait and switch videos where they show you the ipod touch 2g and everything and then conveniently frame their video so that one can't see the volume buttons. (i.e. swapped in a 1g)

The mac file on this guy's video is an .exe file.

If you go to the people that have praised this video, many have joined in the last month, or within a week of the video. Also, none of them have answered posts on their channels for help or advice as to how they did it.

If you go to the chronicdev blog, there are a bunch of people who have followed the exact instructions and downloaded the files. None have succeeded. In fact, one user found that if you rename the extension to one of the files, it is actually the draw program or something.

If it were real, there would be more evidence than here-say.

13. JR47 macrumors newbie

Damn some people really dont have a life.
    They do everything to get attention.
    Well thanks for the info man, i really appreciated it.
    I always thought there was something weird in that video and the comments too.
    We will just have to wait after chronic or iphone dev team afterall since they finished jailbreaking the iphone 3g, they will be working on the ipod touch 2g...i hope
    Anyways thanks again
    Jon.

14. fasequeira macrumors newbie

No problem.

I'm eagerly awaiting the release as well;)

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

why are people still buying into this? its not real it uses the 1st generation jailbreak method which does not work on 2nd gen iPods when are people going to learn they shouldn't still be questioning the authenticity, if it was a proper jailbreak you should of seen the person doin it bu no its just text and screenshot of quickpwn.

as for screenshots n the description..... they could easily be pics from a 1st gen iPod and synced via iTunes to 2nd gen iPod and then they take pics wih the pics from photos

16. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Come on people stop being so gullible. This would be all over the net if it was legit. People are just looking for ways to hit high views on youtube and make up stupid rumors.

Dude you've got balls... I would be too scared to brick my 2g

17. Blunk macrumors member

FAKE!!!
    wait for chronic to release jailbreak for iPod Touch 2G!

He is still looking for some xploit to run non-signed applications over the OS.

18. Ipodkenshi87 macrumors newbie

why do i have to jail break

HELLO i am new to the ipod touch is there no other way to install programs with out jail breaking could i purchase the installer

19. dagored macrumors 65816

Apple does not permit you to install anything on the 2nd gen without their say so.

These install devices are placed on your touch when you jailbreak. That is the only way to place them in the system. Hence the word "jailbreak" Apple has your device locked up.

With the second generation, Apple for lack of a better description, "plugged" the whole for the JB process. They changed the hardware. A new exploit needs to be found.

20. guitarizt macrumors newbie

Anyone remember how long it took to figure out how to jailbreak the 1g itouch?

21. Chuck67322 macrumors member

Chuck67322