iPod Touch 2G low battery life

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cradies, May 9, 2012.

1. Cradies macrumors newbie

So I'm having big trouble with the battery life on my 2G. It only lasts about 4-5 hours when browsing safari or using apps fully charged. I've basically had it since it first came out and I have to admit I haven't treated it that well in the past. I used to plug it in over night even if it was at 80% just to have enough battery for the next day.

I don't know how the battery in the device works but is it possible for it to just "decease" over time?
    Is there any way I can fix it? I've tried draining it completely before charging it again for about 2 months now and I'm not seeing any difference.
    I also heard that it might be an OS 4.2.1 issue...

Thanks in advance.

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

These batteries last typically about 500 full charge cycles before they are supposed to reach 80% capacity. If you charge it from 80% to 100% then from 0% to 80% that counts as one full charge cycle. It doesn't matter if you keep the battery topped off or let it drain often.

If the device is old then you should be noticing a decrease in battery life, but if you have applecare you should be able to get it replaced if it is a problem. 5 hours of safari browsing does not seem like its all that bad.

You can also try restoring the firmware.