iPod touch 2G - Overall impressions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sehnsucht, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Let's see...had my touch for about a week now. Here are my responses to the most common iPod touch complaints:

"The screen is yellow compared to the 1G touch" - Well, "yellow" isn't exactly the right term...I can tell it's warmer than the original touch. Apple claims this was an on-purpose thing to make videos look better, but I can see no appreciable difference in video quality, good or bad. It's definitely not a "jaundiced" yellow as some folks imply. I did notice immediately that the icons on the settings menu look dull compared to the same ones on the 1G. Or perhaps for me it's simply a shock after being used to the gorgeous display on my iMac. :D

"The built-in speaker sounds like hell" - Actually, it does, but I wasn't worried about this at all. It was advertised as "for casual listening," so I already knew not to expect 7.1 channels of surround sound and teeth-rattling bass. :D The built-in speaker's most useful purpose seems, to me, in playing games from the App Store.

"It still freezes up and crashes!" - Ehh, occasionally this will occur, yes. My old 1G froze and crashed so much, I started to wonder if Apple might be using "Windows Vista Mobile" as the firmware. :D But with the 2G, I noticed RIGHT AWAY that scrolling, zooming in/out are much smoother and faster. Also, I can access the full HTML version of MySpace with no trouble, whereas the 1G would go belly up after attempting to load the fifth "Meet HOTT SEXXXY singles In Ur Area NOW" ad. :rolleyes:

So, am I happy with it? Well, mine is about 95% functional thus far so I guess I am. Would I recommend it? To someone in my age category, yes. For younger kids, no.

2. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I agree with all your points. I think the speaker succeeds very well for its INTENDED PURPOSE. Too many people set unrealistic expectations and were dissapointed. Apple added the speaker with sound for games and casual listening in mind, and did just that. I too find the speaker incredibly useful for games, especially ones that are based on sound, such as Tap Tap Revenge.

3. Socorso macrumors member

I'm lovin' it!

I went from an iPod Nano 1G to the 2G Touch and I never let it go! I'm constantly checking email around the house (and outside...). Many restaurants I go to have free WiFi as well. So for me, its like an iPhone without the big monthly bill!

I don't know how I lived without it!