ipod touch 2G screen is better than alubook screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iAppleONE, Dec 3, 2008.

1. iAppleONE macrumors member

Not sure if this was reported before but I noticed that the ipod touch 2G screen has more contrast/vibrant color than my aluminum macbook screen when watching the same movie. Anyone notice this too?

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya ... but I think that's to be expected.

It's smaller and needs to be read/used at all kinds of angles and in all kinds of conditions.

3. iAppleONE thread starter macrumors member

I think is kinda sad that a ~$250 gadget has a better component than a $1500 computer. I wonder how it compares to the MBA and MB pro screen?

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Well ... I mean, it's way smaller and has a very different resolution than the typical MB screen. The MB screen also has different power needs/requirements.

And it's a whole different beast - the screen IS the iPhone. The MacBook is the sum of it's parts (screen, body, keyboard, etc.). So inherently there is different priority scheme in place.

It's not exactly a fair comparison - but I hear what you're saying. If the MB screen was like 9 iPhones screens put together - holy mama.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Why's it sad? It's like saying my $10 alarm radio sounds better than the MB speakers. The MB is not an LCD TV. It's a computer, and a good computer. Enjoy it.

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I'm sorry, but if you're buying any laptop expecting an accurate display (or a display comparable to a desktop monitor), you clearly haven't done sufficient research.

Light weight, low power consumption, accurate colors, affordable. Pick any two.

7. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

My $50 LCD picture frame has better viewing angles than my $1300 Macbook...

8. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

My <object with LCD screen> has <subjective factoid> than my MacBook!

9. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Oh dear. The screen argument again.

Yes, the iPhone and the iPod Touch have amazing screens. As cellocello said, that is because the entirety of the device is screen. If their screens weren't perfect, we couldn't interact so well, nor be entertained quite so much - and we wouldn't buy the thing in the first place.

The MacBook... well I must say the MacBook update has really pissed me off somewhat. The prices for the new MacBooks in the UK have risen, including the White MacBook which remained the same price in the US but gained an inexplicable £18 over here.

The screen really has been a disappointment. No matter how I look at them they remind me of the old old old PowerBook screens of yore - contrast levels that could be only differentiated if you had a sheet of Pantone greyscale slides, colours that would change depending on whether you were at a 90 or 91º angle from the screen... okay well maybe they're not that bad but they are certainly much more poor than the previous generation (like mine).

To ppc750fx, you can have expectations for a laptop screen. They just shouldn't be based on desktop monitors. I have used quite a few laptops, both Apple and from other manufacturers, and I happen to believe that this most recent update has really cost the screens dearly.

10. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

How do you explain the screen in the MBA than?

11. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

People who don't think notebook screens can be awesome haven't ever owned a high end Sony notebook. There are some things I don't like on my Sony notebook, but the screen is not one of the things.

But the OP is comparing apples and oranges (pardon the pun). My $10 dollar alarm clock has better viewing angles and a sharper display than my Macbook and my Sony. So what?

12. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Actually, I need a new alarm clock, what would you recommend for good digit size, colour, and sharpness?

13. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

If this is serious and not sarcastic I'd recommend the iPhone. Yeah I'm not kidding. My alarm clock sits pretty much unused these days as I use my iPhone for my alarms these days. I even stopped using my watch with the iPhone. Not me being a fanboy but what I've observed of my own personal habits changing :)

14. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Heh heh yeah that was slightly sarcastic, or at least it was until I looked at my alarm clock and realised that the leading minute digit has stopped working. Grr. Soldering iron time again methinks. I love the smell of solder at four in the morning!

15. agurlnamedgoo macrumors member

I'm also amazed by how great the iPod screens are. I just got a nano 3g and actually find watching music videos to often be a better experience on the 2 inch screen than on my iBook's 12 inch screen.