iPod touch 2g screen unresponsive

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by king.mob, Oct 19, 2010.

1. king.mob macrumors newbie

I bought an iPod touch last summer, and a few weeks ago the screen just stopped working. It turns on just fine, but it's completely unresponsive to touch (and hence useless). To answer the obvious questions, yes I've tried restoring it, and no I didn't get it wet.

Anyway, I took it to the Apple store at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa, and the repair guy said there wasn't anything they could do. The screen stopped working 3 weeks after the 1-year warranty expired, and I don't have the extended 2-year plan. He said the best they could do was offer me the same model for $179 (CDN), or a 10% discount off the brand new one. He also told me I shouldn't bother having it repaired because that would probably cost more than the 'deal' they would throw me to replace. So here are my questions:

- Was the guy I spoke to for real, or was he just trying to blow me off and/or scam me?

- I looked at Apple's customer service policy, and apparently it would cost me $30 to talk to someone on the phone. Is there anyone I can complain to for free? I like complaining.

- What are the odds that something like this can be fixed? Or is it probably a write-off?

Please help, I'm desperate and annoyed.

2. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

Bad News. But it can be fixed

I had a Touch fail in the same way. This was a know issue with the iPod Touch 2G. The front Glass/Digitizer panel for your iPod Touch has failed, and there is nothing you can do short of replacing the panel to fix it. It can be repaired. go here: http://www.digiexpress.us/biPod-Touch_c_30.html The replacement panel is on sale for $61.88 and this outfit charges a flat 25 dollar fee for their work. They have this panel for the 1-2-3 G Touches. I have not used this place myself but they do come highly rated. When the battery in my Touch 2G runs out of Charge cycles I will have these people replace the battery for me.

You will have to decide if it is worth spending $86.88 (89.24 CAD) to get your Touch repaired. I understand how wrenching it is to not have your Touch working. I had to wait several days before I could drive down to an area Apple Store to get my Touch replaced.:)

3. king.mob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link. That's probably the issue, but I think I'll pass; the repair bill would be about a third of what I paid for the touch brand new! I've been thinking of upgrading to an iPhone anyway, although I'm having second thoughts since the screen on my touch conked out. . .

4. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

Not to worry this problem was seen in the 2G but it was not common, and in later models I have not heard of this issue at all.