iPod Touch 2G stuck while updating

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cfoust, Jun 23, 2010.

1. cfoust macrumors newbie

On June 21st, 2010 iOS4 was released. (little obvious, but it leads to my problem) At this time, my iPod was jailbroken (non-MC model), and due to this release, I decided to update. I backed up my iPod and then began the update process. It went swimmingly until this point:
    [​IMG]
    My iTunes locked up like this, and on my device it was stuck there as well. I decided to Force Quit iTunes and then try again, except now my iPod had gone into Recovery Mode. I tried restoring my iPod, except every single time (I tried this 5-6 times) it would get stuck at the same point. I even tried it and let it run overnight, but it was still stalled in the morning.
    I've tried restoring on other computers, and also with other firmware (3.1.3, 3.1.2) but at no success. Is there any way to fix this without having to go to an Apple store? There aren't any within a large radius of where I live, and it seems like a big hassle because of a simple update.

I know this is my first post, and I did create an account specifically for asking about my problem, but I'm really stuck. (as is my iPod, it seems)

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

3. cfoust thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have.

UPDATE: For some reason, the instant that I posted on MacRumors, my then-processing restore attempt worked. I'm updating to 4.0, but it may stall again.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Sweet. :cool:

5. cfoust thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused: It stalled yet again. It's stuck at 95% at the same screen posted above, and I think that it's back to brick status. On the flip side, it is completely wiped to factory settings; there are no jailbreak artifacts left or anything, it's literally just a blank iPod not, and yet the update is still stalling.
    *sigh*

6. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

No idea, hopefully a solution is found! :)

7. cfoust thread starter macrumors newbie

Yet another update...whenever it stalls, and I open PwnageTool, (even when I'm not even touching it, I'm just opening it) it makes it un-stall and finish installing the firmware. It's fixed, I have no idea what PwnageTool does to my iPod, but it worked.

8. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Cool. :)

9. cfoust thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently, I've lost a gig of space.
    [​IMG]
    Has anyone else had this problem?

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Well, i guess its better than having it stuck. :)

11. johnnyham macrumors regular

The loss of space is normal. Check out my thread on this over here. I guess iOS 4 is a real space hog.

12. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

13. Sharkwater macrumors newbie

What?

I have this exact same problem with my jailbroken non MC model iPod touch when trying to update it...so all you did was get some program called Pwnagetool, open it, then the update worked?? :confused: